Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Organ Donations

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious as to whether you would donate your organs (either dead or alive) and the reasoning behind your choice.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the heart on my id
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM

never expected this thread to get so much attention, but I think this is good for all of us (got no hits in the psych forum, but was then moved to this forum!) [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

The reason why i posted this thread was to understand people's logic- specifically those who do not donate.

I would like to understand that logic/reasoning (of those who do not donate) so that we can formulate a plan which seeks to change their mode of thinking and subsequently increase the overall amount of organ donations.

good discussion so far!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't believe people that don't donate organs are guilty of murder, the effect is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it?

A "severe shortage of organs" costs people's lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

So does the current policy.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Random stuff:

There are about 100,000 people waiting for an organ transplant in this country.

Every day, 19 of those people die without having received the organ transplant they need.

The organs you can donate to save or enhance someone's life include the heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, and pancreas. You can also, of course, enhance someone's life by donating eyes/corneas and all kinds of tissues. The total people affected by your donation can reach up to 50 people.

We live in an opt-in society for organ donation. If you don't opt in (driver's license or state registry), it doesn't mean you won't be an organ donor. We will instead ask your legal next of kin for permission.

Approximately 35% of the families we approach (in my region) decline donation. Approximately 50% of the residents in my state who have driver's licenses or state IDs are registered organ donors. However there is a bit of a bell curve based on age. Older people tend not to be registered. Also anyone under 18 who is registered doesn't really count until their 18th birthday.

Registering as an organ donor only counts when you die in a hospital, on a ventilator, and are declared brain dead. If you die by cardiac death (on a vent) then we still must approach your family for permission. If you die in a car wreck on the scene or in a hospital but not on a ventilator then you can't become an organ donor (solid organs... may still be possible for tissues).
Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ongoing dialysis treatments cost between $500-$1000 a week, depending on the number of treatments necessary per week, but the national average is ~$40,000 per year. The cost of kidney transplants, plus post-surgical care is ~$75,000, much less for better matches in the organ because they don't have to stay on anti-rejection drugs. Making that number $78,000 only decreases the Insurance companies ROI by a small amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two data points for dialysis and one data point for a kidney transplant. I guess I can't argue against quoted national averages ... they are whatever they are quoted at. But those numbers seem to be quite low.

My experience is that dialysis runs $80K/year for the standard 3 times a week / 4 hours routine.

One of those two people has had a kidney transplant and the total all-in cost of that seems to have netted out to about $150K. Well, that was a living-related transplant, perhaps that's the difference (is the $75K for cadaveric transplants?)

Also, as far as I know, ALL kidney transplant patients are on anti-rejection drugs for life (for the life of the graft), as no match is perfect with the one sole exception of a living donation from an identical twin. The degree of matching may affect your dosage level, but you'll be on MyFortic or CelSep (sp?) or similar (and very expensive!) drugs forever.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 AM

a liver transplant saved my girlfriend's life in 2003 ... she did subsequently pass away two years later due to other complications, but it made me realize that I will donate

before this, i would have never even considered it
Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a liver transplant saved my girlfriend's life in 2003 ... she did subsequently pass away two years later due to other complications, but it made me realize that I will donate

[/ QUOTE ]

did you not consider it because you were unaware that the choice to donate existed? or did you previously consciously choose not to donate?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's illegal to sell organs because it would create a big black market for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldn't because there would a legally enforced paper trail. You can't just show up at the hospital and say "Here's a kidney I found pay me $6k."
Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you not consider it because you were unaware that the choice to donate existed? or did you previously consciously choose not to donate?

[/ QUOTE ]

consciously chose not to. I figured "why desecrate my body for a stranger"
Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Considering that I got an organ transplanted into me, I'd have to say I'm an organ donor particularly because I realize the importance of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip Report?

Also, are you allowed to donate that same organ again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I might do it later but too lazy now. Plus, no one prolly cares, which adds to me not wanting to do it.

Dunno, I prolly doubt it though. It's prolly weak as it is with my body attacking it and stuff, so I doubt it could take another transplant.