Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: FR Theory: Random thoughts on different stack sizes and playing th

If I get this right, there is this secretive club called shortstackers who have this secret information, and only few outsiders know this Holy Grail. If one gains access to this information, serious cheddar is guaranteed?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm nit sure what you are saying exactly, but shortstacking well is +EV no matter what you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right.

But the short stacks I've played against are pretty easy to exploit. You just tighten up against them and only play hands that are much better than there range.

If I get a flop I like (overpair/tptk) it's pretty easy to get all the money in the pot and I usually win cuz I started with the better hand.

Short stacks can't get away from any flops they don't like because they are so quickly pot committed.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the short stacks I've played against are pretty easy to exploit. You just tighten up against them and only play hands that are much better than there range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, except for the other 7 people at the table who you're offering excelent implied odds to play their SCs & small PPs.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, except for the other 7 people at the table who you're offering excelent implied odds to play their SCs & small PPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they can't play those hands because the short stack doesn't give them the odds, so they have to fold...so the short stack is preventing the hands I fear from playing along.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm nit sure what you are saying exactly, but shortstacking well is +EV no matter what you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right.

If I get a flop I like (overpair/tptk) it's pretty easy to get all the money in the pot and I usually win cuz I started with the better hand.

Short stacks can't get away from any flops they don't like because they are so quickly pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't play against good shortstacks
Old 11-10-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I get this right, there is this secretive club called shortstackers who have this secret information, and only few outsiders know this Holy Grail. If one gains access to this information, serious cheddar is guaranteed?

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a secretive *club*
the info on how to do it isn't that secretive

the dataminers show they are making serious chedder....among the biggest winners
Old 11-10-2007, 03:16 PM

MT2R

stop derailing this thread with the shortstacker illuminati stuff. I've broken out one of your posts about it to create a new thread, so just post it there.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post12894382

db
Old 11-10-2007, 07:20 PM

I've experimented with 60bb stacks, mainly at NL100 and have found it takes away alot of the difficult decisions I faced with around 100bb stacks. It just made it easier to play.

Now I primarily buy in for 60bb, unless there are uber donk buddies with more then I'll play 100.

Personally I hate playing around 100bb, 200+ is fine as is around 60-70 and lower. I just find 100 very akward, don't know if I am alone in this or not.

Nice post diebitter, some interesting things to think about.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Hi Phytopath

I'd love to hear what you think are the benefits of 60BB then, and the reasoning behind it. And your experiences in playing 60BB too.

My take: I personally play it much like I'd play 100BB, and whilst it makes some decisions more obvious (ie it's more obvious to fold the worst of your raising hands - say 66 in mp2 - to a stiff 3-bet at 60BB than 100BB), these are not that hard decisions to come to at 100BB (imo) given plenty of experience/thinking. And I feel not playing 100BB leaves money on the table. However, I really do think people will more readily take the worst of it when they are against a 60BBer than a 100BBer.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:33 PM

When I first moved up to the $50 I played a 60bb stack. I found that I lost value on big hands but I also found that people (even regs) paid off lighter because it didn't cost a full stack. When I got up to 100bbs I always stayed because for some reason people still gave me no respect and kept paying me off and chasing their losses from me.