Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Chairman Rangel comments on WTO case and Frank bill in the Antigua Sun

http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view...07&ac=Local

“I think my country is wrong in trying to change the rules of the WTO, but this is a very sensitive diplomatic issue,” he said in response to a query from the Antigua Sun.

Another member of Congress, Barney Frank, has proposed a bill for the regulation of the remote gaming industry, legislation that would nullify the effects of the UIGEA, but Rangel said that Frank’s legislation does very little to level the field as it relates to the WTO.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Chairman Rangel comments on WTO case and Frank bill in the Antigua Sun

In the past, I have seldom agreed with Rep. Rangel. However, I have always admired his wit and intelligence. By realizing that the IGREA is not compliant with the WTO, Rep. Rangel shows that he is more intelligent than most reporters and government officials. Clearly, WTO pressure is beginning to lead to a potential change in this whole matter to our benefit. I hope that Rep. Rangle can lead this change.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Chairman Rangel comments on WTO case and Frank bill in the Antigua

Wow, that is pretty huge isn't it?

That is the boldest that a U.S. Congressmen has been dealing with it's international agreements correct? This seems like a very large story to me, I am surprised there is not more discussion.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 PM

It's being discussed on multiple threads which is common here.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Chairman Rangel comments on WTO case and Frank bill in the Antigua Sun

Jay, I am most impressed by the Rangel quote at the end of the article, "“It’s really what would be best for the United States and that would be consistent with the goals of Antigua and the goals of the WTO, and so we are working together with members of different communities and jurisdictions to try to obtain that,” Rangel said.".

It seems there are forces at work moving in the right direction.

Additionally, I gather it seems he is not leaning towards a payoff solution by allowing the withdrawal of WTO commitments.

You know more, is this your read as well?

Any help in your thoughts will be appreciated as we here can add them into our letters and such.

obg
Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 PM

Rangel is outspoken and a bit of a loose cannon. Remmeber, his big news splash was to sponsor legislation to reintroduce the draft. He is in the House where he runs his Committee like a fief. Ive intereacted with Rangel on a few occasions and he is cagey to say the least(not too good at poker though). Maybe, myabe he can hold sway in conference committee to get something done, but why would he expend political capital for us in that way? Maybe grade him high, but he doesn't need our money or support, his political star has risen as far as it ever will, and it won't fall by ignoring us.