Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 06:34 AM

Default 100NL - I take a weird line with 88

Villain is a standard tag, running at about 20/16/3. I have no idea what to do on this flop, which I think is where I need most advice. Also wondering how you think I played it on turn/river, or if I should have just dumped it earlier.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($70.50)
SB ($142.50)
BB ($102.60)
UTG ($37.70)
MP ($207.70)
Hero ($106.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $5, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($12.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($28.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($68.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $73.4 (All-In)</font>
Old 08-12-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: 100NL - I take a weird line with 88

i like playing this hard on the flop. raise it up to about $26. if MP shows strength after that, you can easily fold and not have lost much value.

turnplay is alright. i dont mind a call here because you have position and unless villain somehow has a 7, he's likely to slowdown on river, even if he has you beat.

on the river, i think this is a good spot to shove. its a pure bluff, but now i cant think of a single hand villain can call with. it looks like he had an overpair. even if he has AK he probably wont call. so this has a good chance of working.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 AM

First, your not likely to flat call the turn with a 7 on a two flush board.

And second, the scarier the board gets - the more polarized your range becomes and the more likely you are to bluff.

And last, your river does not look like a value bet. His hand looks like an over, not AK. Its a scary card for him and you cant expect to be getting much value from underpairs.

I snap call with any pair in this spot. Your hand looks like a busted flush draw, nothing else.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 AM

Id like to raise the turn and check behind river although stacks suck. Why would you play a straight like that? Id much rather shove the turn.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I snap call with any pair in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if this statement is somehow true. im not sure how it is relevant here unless you are the villain. most people fold to a shove here without having a straight, or possibly a stubborn set.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I snap call with any pair in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if this statement is somehow true. im not sure how it is relevant here unless you are the villain. most people fold to a shove here without having a straight, or possibly a stubborn set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure, but I think its somehow related to "I think I know what you think I think you have".

ps And if you have evidence that villain is not thinking, bluffing would be EV- no matter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 AM

oh
Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 AM

I don't think many people check this river with the intent to give up. If he had KQ or something and went for the double barrel maybe, but if he is halfway decent he is B/F this river with any pair (99-KK), and he calls with AK probably. I don't like the shove because I don't see you having much F/e, and you have decent showdown value.

If I was this tag (and I are similar stats) I check here if I have "given up" (25% of time about prob), and to induce planning to call any bet. I would B/F most of my mediocre hands. I don't think shoving has any value here.

I check behind.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:21 AM

what hand can u beat that double-barrells ? Do u think he would fire twice with an unimproved hand ? If he had AK, would he check the river hoping for a check behind fearing a 7?

Id much rather put villain on 99-kk here, so I your bet to me is a bluff - do u think he calls with underpairs in this spot?

That said, I dont see you ever winning the pot if u do check behind.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 AM

In short AK checks river, you dnt have a straight! and theres a missed flush draw. giv up