Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Why is Paul Running as a Republican?

[ QUOTE ]
He has said in several interviews he would not run as an independent if he is not nominated on the republican ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he say not as an independent, not as a Libertarian or both? I doubt he's lying about this or will change his mind, but if he left one of the options open, it's still a possibility.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 PM

He said he has no interest in running under a third party...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXfDHXpP87o (Discussion starts around 1:30)
Old 10-23-2007, 01:32 PM

He has said at least a dozen times that I have personally heard that he is not at all interested in running as an independent or third party candidate.

It's getting bizzare the way every single interviewers asks this question even though he's shot it down dozens of times.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they are. You're essentially saying, "He should run for president in a way that insures that he will be excluded from national debates, and in fact be arrested if he tries to attend them, i.e. in a way that insures that he has no shot, as intended by the current electoral system in the United States."

[/ QUOTE ]
If he ran as a libertarian he wouldn't have access to the Republican Primary debates, but very well might have access to the ones that matter.

[ QUOTE ]
You Paul haters will grasp at any straw to marginalize him. Why not just say you don't agree with his policy ideas and leave it at that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I think he is interesting and there are interesting things to discuss with his candidacy. Why don't you just say that you agree with his policy ideas and leave it at that? Why don't you just say that you disagree with our form of government and leave it at that?

[ QUOTE ]
You like big government, think the IRS is a great piece of policy, love an ever depreciating currency, and are all for foreign wars of aggression

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow -- 0 for 4.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it enough to disagree with policy without having to make up bull [censored] like "He's a sellout for not guaranteeing he will lose."

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not making up anything. I'm stating my opinion. I think someone with Paul's positions is a sellout if they run as a Republican.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they are. You're essentially saying, "He should run for president in a way that insures that he will be excluded from national debates, and in fact be arrested if he tries to attend them, i.e. in a way that insures that he has no shot, as intended by the current electoral system in the United States."

[/ QUOTE ]
If he ran as a libertarian he wouldn't have access to the Republican Primary debates, but very well might have access to the ones that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. He'd be arrested, just like the last Libertarian presidential candidate was when he tried to attend the debates.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=40843

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You Paul haters will grasp at any straw to marginalize him. Why not just say you don't agree with his policy ideas and leave it at that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I think he is interesting and there are interesting things to discuss with his candidacy. Why don't you just say that you agree with his policy ideas and leave it at that? Why don't you just say that you disagree with our form of government and leave it at that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice dodge. If you think he's interesting why keep trying to marginalize him?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You like big government, think the IRS is a great piece of policy, love an ever depreciating currency, and are all for foreign wars of aggression

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow -- 0 for 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's 0 for 4, you should be voting for Paul, not arguing that he should exclude himself from the election by running as a Libertarian.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it enough to disagree with policy without having to make up bull [censored] like "He's a sellout for not guaranteeing he will lose."

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not making up anything. I'm stating my opinion. I think someone with Paul's positions is a sellout if they run as a Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what his positions are. You have to run as either a Democrat or a Republican or you have no shot. So your statement is equivalent to, "If you want to have a shot, you are by definition a sellout."
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Well lets see, he is pro-life, wants less taxes and smaller gov....

kinda fits the republican mold, and the republican tent is a big one, as is the democrats. This seems like a pretty silly question
Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he wouldn't. The last 20+ years have already proven this.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well lets see, he is pro-life, wants less taxes and smaller gov....

kinda fits the republican mold, and the republican tent is a big one, as is the democrats. This seems like a pretty silly question

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, cherry picking issues like this, you could just as easily say he's anti-war, pro-medicinal marijuana and against the Patriot Act, so why isn't he running as a Democrat?

Then again, the Democrats don't actually support any of that, so nevermind.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're already trying to keep him out of the debates even RUNNING as a Republican. What makes you think that if he was running as a Libertarian that he'd suddenly be welcomed?

Crazy.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're already trying to keep him out of the debates even RUNNING as a Republican. What makes you think that if he was running as a Libertarian that he'd suddenly be welcomed?

Crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his numbers justified entrance in the debate he would be welcomed. I'm not denying that it would be difficult for him to get in the debates. I just think that his chances would be greater as a libertarian (especially if you believe some of the hype from his supporters) to get on the ballot that matters than trying to run in a party that pretty clearly (to me, apparently not so much to others)doesn't represent his views.