Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Default PS3 Price Slash Question

First, not trying to sound like a 360 fanboy here or anything, just curious. I saw that Sony slashed prices on the PS3 in the UK (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825213p1.html), and I was wondering if they have cut down their production cost of the PS3 by much from when it first came out. Sources would be helpful if you got em.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: PS3 Price Slash Question

Compare the features. There is less features than initial launch. That will cut down a lot of cost.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 PM

They removed backwards compatibility, built in flash drives, lowered the HDD storage, and cut two USB ports. Actually it makes sense for them to do this. It gives PS3 owners a chance to buy the machine w/out all the features (similar to a 'premium' 360).

You can always add more USB ports, get a PS2 for backwards compatibility, upgrade the hard drive later, or get a USB flash reader. In a market where price is being overemphasized I think this is a good move to get more PS3's in the market.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They removed backwards compatibility, built in flash drives, lowered the HDD storage, and cut two USB ports. Actually it makes sense for them to do this. It gives PS3 owners a chance to buy the machine w/out all the features (similar to a 'premium' 360).

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was buying a PS3 I'd never consider the 40gig model, the 60gig with backwards compatibility is only fifty quid more, which isn't much to play in order to have games worth playing on the thing (certainly no more than the cost of a PS2 at the moment)
Old 10-08-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was buying a PS3 I'd never consider the 40gig model, the 60gig with backwards compatibility is only fifty quid more, which isn't much to play in order to have games worth playing on the thing (certainly no more than the cost of a PS2 at the moment)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my thought and the reason I got the bigger model when it first came out, and also why I got the Elite 360. But the point is now the user has options similar to how the 360 does periferals like wi-fi & smaller HD. Don't have the cash now, that's ok because you can get it later if you need it.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Sony is also apparently planning to sell their Cell (chip used in the PS3) production facilities to Toshiba. Should have some interesting implications for the PS3 and its production costs.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sony is also apparently planning to sell their Cell (chip used in the PS3) production facilities to Toshiba. Should have some interesting implications for the PS3 and its production costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this cut costs on production of the PS3's dropping the price even more? It looks like Sony will still be able to use them while Toshiba will be able to use it in their electronics. This looks like the smartest thing they have done in a while.

Wouldn't this also improve development on the cell since there are two companies using it? Seems like good news to PS3 owners.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Imho if you're gonna buy a PS3 without proper backwards compatibility you may as well not get one at all. PS2 has loads more better games than its successor and is a lot cheaper. Paying £300 for a PS3 is still quite a bit considering MS has also cut the price of their 360.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Imho if you're gonna buy a PS3 without proper backwards compatibility you may as well not get one at all. PS2 has loads more better games than its successor and is a lot cheaper. Paying £300 for a PS3 is still quite a bit considering MS has also cut the price of their 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then buy a PS2, why would you get a PS3 to play PS2 games anyway if that's what you want to play? Both the 360 and the PS3 are quite expensive, even w/ the current price cuts. I really want both of these systems to fight over which is better because I want to see some better games out of both which means both have to do something to get more systems out into the public. Especially the PS3.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 AM

Well im certainly glad i got a launch console now.