Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Car Accident Question

My father was hit by another driver. This driver has a ticket before and begged my father to not report to my father's insurance company so the driver's insurance premium doesn't go up. He offered to fix my dad's car. I do not have any experience regarding this.

What is your play?

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:28 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Car Accident Question

Go get an estimate, tell the guy what it is. If he doesnt give you a check call the police and file a police report.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have done it twice before. Both times I was at fault. I just told them to take the car in and get it repaired then I paid them.

The fear is that the guy will renege on the arrangement. If he does that could be an issue. It is really a judgement call if he seemed trust worthy or not.

The amount of damage and where you live is also a factor. In certain jurisdictions not reporting an accident above a certain amount of damage is illegal but nothing ever comes of it. It would just be a bigger complication if the guy welshed on the arrangement.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM

PITTM and Henry,

Should my dad ask the driver to provide a letter saying he will pay for damages? Or should my dad call the police and file a report and wait on the insurance reporting?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Go for it if there is 0% chance your father was injured.

If there is any chance your dad can have whiplash or anything else, definitely report it, as the medical costs can become very big and have almost no upper bound.

If it's just the car, at worse you don't get paid, but you probably will, especially since you probably have the guys contact info.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
PITTM and Henry,

Should my dad ask the driver to provide a letter saying he will pay for damages?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good idea.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PITTM and Henry,

Should my dad ask the driver to provide a letter saying he will pay for damages? Or should my dad call the police and file a report and wait on the insurance reporting?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point you have already left the scene without reporting so instead of a letter I'd go get two estimates tomorrow. Body shops tend to be in close proximity to each other. You'll usually find several on the same street so should take little time. Then take those to the guy and get him to commit once the amount is known.

People often under estimate the cost of repairs so you want the guy to commit once he knows how much it actually is going to cost.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PITTM and Henry,

Should my dad ask the driver to provide a letter saying he will pay for damages?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, this is a TERRIBLE idea. A letter is an empty promise to pay and does jack [censored] for your dad, unless he's going to sue the guy in small claims court.

Your dad should simply get an estimate, or two if he likes. The driver at fault pays him up front with a check, if the check bounces you go straight to the insurance company.

If the repairs are more than $1000, the driver at fault is probably better off not paying and just taking the insurance hit.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the repairs are more than $1000, the driver at fault is probably better off not paying and just taking the insurance hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what insurance is like in the States but I got into an accident 2 years ago. I did $1800 damage to his car and $14k to mine but I still figured it was cheaper to pay then to go though insurance.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM

terrible move. he may never pay, or claim later that it was you dads fault, or claim he was hurt . your dad didnt report it so he has no way to prove he wasnt at fault. if you have some witnesses that may help. but he should turn it in and let his insurance company deal with it.
if he wants to take a chance then he should insist on the money immediately.