Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Blog entry for Sunday Million Win

Hey dudes. I wrote a really long writeup about my Sunday Million win for the dudes at tworags.com (where nath and adanthar also write). I'd really appreciate it if you guys could stop by and check it out and tell me what you think, whether it's poorly written, what stuff is boring and should be taken out, what stuff I should expand on for next time. Plus I'm just generally kinda proud that someone else asked me to write a blog for them. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.tworags.com/index.php?ACT...iew&ID=649

Hope it's a good read. It's LONG! I thought they were gonna release it in sections but it came out all at once. So yeah, if you guys are at work and have 20 minutes to spare, this'll be a good project for ya =) Thanks.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Blog entry for Sunday Million Win

Also, here are two pictures of psyduck, because they make me laugh:

ps. bling bling blinggitty
Old 08-15-2007, 03:23 PM

Good read. Thanks Mlagoo - next time we meet up for dinner, you're paying. lol
Old 08-15-2007, 03:28 PM

I think it's very well-written. I like the way you interrupt the action with your 2+2 posts and the way your vary the verbs and sentence structure you use to describe the action. This is important because there is potential for all of the hands to run together, and mixing up your descriptions is a good way to counteract that.

It does start to get a little heavy on hand details towards the end, which is actually where the hands are least interesting. It's pretty much all "he correctly shoved X, I correctly called Y, result." I'd rather hear more about what you are thinking at the time strategically (ie the stuff where you talked about your strategy coming into the final table or playing with an aggressive player on your left is good) or in "OMG I'm going to win the million ugh do I want to a flip a coin for $20,000?!?!?" way. So for the late game, I'd say give us a little more of that and less mechanical push-call hands. The ones where you had close decisions or post-flop play are good, as are the ones where you offer some commentary like "you think about all this fancy stuff and then you realize it was just KK vs AA", but just reciting details of people's standard bustout hands is bogging it down some, IMO.

All in all, it's a great read. Congratulations!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Read the whole thing, really liked it. Nice job.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM

i read the whole thing. i felt it was worth it
Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM

where are the descriptions of the hookers and blow parties that ensued?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
where are the descriptions of the hookers and blow parties that ensued?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha it actually occurred to me afterwards that maybe I should have included some sort of story about the afterparty. It was fun though, I had a great time, had a lot of great people to celebrate with, had a lot of alcohol, and later, once I passed the point of even tentative sobriety, saw lots of naked women. All in all a pretty solid night.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 PM

I read the whole thing and enjoyed it. Thanks for writing it man.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Hey Foucault,

I was hoping you'd reply. The thing about writing up this report was like... After a while, you know, everyone has like 20 BBs... and suddenly hands aren't that interesting. "I raised, he shoved, I decided his range was wide enough that the call was +EV, I won/lost."

One thing I didn't do that I thought I could have done was post a few hands where I folded PF where I think some novices might not -- like, spots where I chose not to resteal, or chose not to open, because of the situation at the table. I think those are almost always more interesting than "Raised KQo, dude crammed, I snapcalled because I have the nizzles."

So yeah, that's my excuse for not going into detail for a lot of the hands -- just that I didn't find them that interesting. But you're right, even if I didn't find them that interesting, I could have included something like "When I called with KQo, I was conscious of the fact that I was essentially pressing a very slim edge for well over a hundred thousand dollars of equity." Except I really wasn't. I can honestly say that outside of the deal talks, it didn't really enter my mind a lot. Despite spending a lot of time playing SNGs, I am not an ICM expert, and generally my thought process is something like "Hmmm, this might be +cEV, but it's freaking thin, and given the payout structure it's likely not +$EV." So it's not something that I'm constantly processing (although perhaps it should be).

Anyway, thanks for the replies everybody. Glad you enjoyed it.