Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 09:23 PM

Default TS March Madness ME Day 1, 66 from UTG with CL

Yes, I ranted about this in the BBV forum, and I'm still getting over it, not mitigated by the fact that a lot of you saw the hand play out in person. Anyways, I'm ready for the flaming, and I'm pretty sure what the responses are going to be. However, I'm willing to suffer to improve, so here goes:

I have about 65k at the 150-300/50 level with about 60-70 players left on day 1. I have about 7-8% of the chips in play.

I get moved to a new table and don't play a hand for about 15 minutes, and then I pick up 6c-6s UTG and open for 925. The CO (no reads, about a little more than 50k behind) calls, and it's HU to the flop.

Flop: 5h-4h-2d

I bet 2100, the CO now raises to 9200. I think about it for about 10-15 seconds, then shove. Results will be in white.

The question that I want answered is, given what I thought was her range 22-JJ, Adxd and possibly QQ (I did not think she was that strong on the flop, but I thought I was beat), is it really donkfully disastrious to be making this play (if my object was to play to win the tournament)? Is the price of being wrong also worth the reward?

Any other comments on this hand are appreciated as well.

Results are shown in white for those that are curious...

<font color="white"> </font> CO has 22, turn and river are 4-2.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: TS March Madness ME Day 1, 66 from UTG with CL

i dont like your raise preflop (why raise w hand that will only be called by those who have you dominated ?limp, build a pot at a cheap price or throw it away if someone raises big. as played you are really showing strength b4 the flop and now you are following through w a semi bluff that fits your story. just be prepared that this play will not always work and all those chips you worked to build are abc ya later. this is not a terible play but one that puts your stack at risk
Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 PM

the truth is on a hand like that i'd guess 80% of the time you take it down, but the other 20% you're drawing dead/almost dead - is is gaining the 15-20% in chips worth the risk? I'd say usually not but to each his own
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I ranted about this in the BBV forum, and I'm still getting over it, not mitigated by the fact that a lot of you saw the hand play out in person. Anyways, I'm ready for the flaming, and I'm pretty sure what the responses are going to be. However, I'm willing to suffer to improve, so here goes:

I have about 65k at the 150-300/50 level with about 60-70 players left on day 1. I have about 7-8% of the chips in play.

I get moved to a new table and don't play a hand for about 15 minutes, and then I pick up 6c-6s UTG and open for 925. The CO (no reads, about a little more than 50k behind) calls, and it's HU to the flop.

Flop: 5h-4h-2d

I bet 2100, the CO now raises to 9200. I think about it for about 10-15 seconds, then shove. Results will be in white.

The question that I want answered is, given what I thought was her range 22-JJ, Adxd and possibly QQ (I did not think she was that strong on the flop, but I thought I was beat), is it really donkfully disastrious to be making this play (if my object was to play to win the tournament)? Is the price of being wrong also worth the reward?

Any other comments on this hand are appreciated as well.

Results are shown in white for those that are curious...

<font color="white"> </font> CO has 22, turn and river are 4-2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh crap.....I guess I messed up the formatting.....
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 PM

I hate the shove. In these situations, you're only getting action by hands that have you beat. The only two hands I see villain raising with that you have beat is a hand like A5 or AK with the NFD if he think you might be stealing. But that's only if he's really loose.

But when you shove, you're definitely only getting called if you're beat.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 AM

I never fold bottom set in a tournament, its too bad she had a bigger set than u.

-Falker
Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 AM

I fold bottom set this deep every time. But thats just me, tough break. Probably gotta go with it vs these nits.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 AM

You are the nit if you are folding bottom set. Jeez man she will call with all overpairs. Win the hand and you have ~110k...which is the average when there are only 7 players left...ship the monies!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:58 AM

I rather have a gutshot than a set in this situation because at least with a gutshot I'll have outs.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I rather have a gutshot than a set in this situation because at least with a gutshot I'll have outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

then u is a fish tinker