Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: 10/20 - OOP, 3bet by LAG, missed bets?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is raising KQo UTG 10-handed really considered spew?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but one person said it was, so the next 10 replies had to agree with him. Preflop here is retardedly trivial and shouldn't even be looked at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I guess I don't do a lot of raising UTG with KQo.
In practice, I've found it tends to drive out hands like KJ/KT/QJ/QT which I have dominated and hands like Ax i don't mind playing against that much and get called/raised mainly by hands that I'm in trouble against (AQ/AK/AA/KK/QQ). But that's probably just me...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is raising KQo UTG 10-handed really considered spew?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but one person said it was, so the next 10 replies had to agree with him. Preflop here is retardedly trivial and shouldn't even be looked at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I guess I don't do a lot of raising UTG with KQo.
In practice, I've found it tends to drive out hands like KJ/KT/QJ/QT which I have dominated and hands like Ax i don't mind playing against that much and get called/raised mainly by hands that I'm in trouble against (AQ/AK/AA/KK/QQ). But that's probably just me...

[/ QUOTE ]

You play in tough games, bc I tend to get called by Q9, Q8s, K9s, K9o and thats just the average fish.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As described OP is the only tight aggressive player there anyway. Most others are tight passive so I raise every time with KQo UTG. Especially getting re-raised by LAG with any A/pair to take out the blinds and make his hand obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see the logical fallacy of playing loose because you're the only tight player there?

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case there are two loose players and 5 others who play tight and passive. OP is the only tight aggressive player there. When I raise early with KQo in this type of game and I get re-raised by one of the tight passives then either I hit the flop hard or I am out of there. But what tends to happen where I play (Foxwoods 10/20) is I get AT and even AJ to fold behind me because the tight players won't play those hands to a raise. The loose players in the game tend to call two cold with almost anything in which case top pair usually wins. Add to that the number of hands I am playing against one or both both blinds where I end up with position, and I like this.

But as HowMany said earlier it is a marginal decision either way. I do it partly because I hate folding all the time. On-line it was slightly -EV from early position and I only started doing it live after reading SSHE. I believe I am +EV live doing this not only because of the hands I win, but also because I am getting more action to the river when an A flops after I have raised in EP. Since most of my EP raises are with AK, AQ, AJ and sometimes AT this has worked out quite well...
Old 07-30-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You play in tough games, bc I tend to get called by Q9, Q8s, K9s, K9o and thats just the average fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might actually be right about the difference. I get an occasional call with that crap in my regular game, but when I raise from early, I tend to end up playing against a range that isn't particularly far behind KQo, with the added fun that I'm out of position.

I haven't played Foxwoods 10/20 in three or four years, but I played the 20/40 last time I was visiting CT (a few weeks ago) and the players were bad, but I'm not sure they were *that* bad.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played Foxwoods 10/20 in three or four years, but I played the 20/40 last time I was visiting CT (a few weeks ago) and the players were bad, but I'm not sure they were *that* bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
The 20/40 Foxwoods game plays very differently than the 10/20 - so I have been told. Whenever a 20/40 regular is on a temporary bankroll adjustment and drops down to the 10/20 game, I try to pump them for info on the 20/40 game. That game is very Aggro both pre-flop and post flop. Raising KQo in EP in that game wouldn't work because it would come back capped for 2 more bets, too often. And the hand ranges of the re-raisers would be much wider as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 20/40 Foxwoods game plays very differently than the 10/20 - so I have been told. Whenever a 20/40 regular is on a temporary bankroll adjustment and drops down to the 10/20 game, I try to pump them for info on the 20/40 game. That game is very Aggro both pre-flop and post flop. Raising KQo in EP in that game wouldn't work because it would come back capped for 2 more bets, too often. And the hand ranges of the re-raisers would be much wider as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should just play the game. It might be more aggro than the 10/20, but I definitely would *not* describe it as 'very aggro' pre-flop, and definitely not post-flop. In 30 hours of poker, I don't think I ever faced a cap on the turn or river. Players failed to value-raise on the big streets with very strong hands on a regular basis, in situations where I definitely would have paid them off with a fairly wide range.

I recommend you just go and play it, instead of asking for scouting reports from less than stellar players. It's not a tough game.