Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Whiffed AQ vs a maniac LAG.

Villain here is a 70/17/2 maniacal Lagtard.

Yes this means he plays almost 3/4 of the hands he is dealt and raises/bet twice as much as he calls. Thats pretty seriously aggro.

So I figure that he sees lots of flops then breaks out the serious aggression when he catches ANY piece of the board, and againif he feels opponent is weak.

The rest of the table are playing like a group of cardigan constructors waiting to bust him when they pick up AA.

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: $95.69
BB: $44.79
Hero (UTG): $59
CO: $97.10
BTN: $134.29

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, 3 folds

Flop: ($4.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $10</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $25</font>, CO calls $15

<font color="blue"> Big surprise - he has a little something or he thinks I am going to bend over for him - I c/r his flop bet and he thinks a good long while before calling.</font>

Turn: ($54.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $32 and is All-In</font>,

<font color="blue"> no messing about I am committed here and I must have some fold equity cos he snap calls my flop bet if he really has a hand I think - lets put him to the test.</font>

thoughts and comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Whiffed AQ vs a maniac LAG.

I have trouble recommending trying to push these idiots off a hand.

honestly, these players won't fold to a push on the turn with nothing but a gutshot. Pushing him off an actual hand, and by actual hand I mean a pair of 2s or better, is a risky venture.

I'm sure this works sometimes. But I think its when he completely whiffs. (Does he call your CR if he whiffed?)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM

I don't like it. Mainiac tards will usually call you down fairly lite, plus he's getting 2.8:1 to call (or so).

I can see him calling with almost any PP, any T, and any FD.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM

this is pretty sexy when it works. I just don't think its going to work too often in a situation like this.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:00 PM

Do you think you have the best hand? Sometimes when I spaz out like this villain calls and I am like uhuh and then villain tables A6o. Usually that flop overbet means villain has connected with the flop in some way and the only hand you are barely ahead of is a gutshot and not by much. I think your equity vs a super wide range for villain is pretty bad on the flop. Obviously villain could decide that this is the day he folds midpair. If I had a draw like an openender I would probably just shove it in on the flop, because he wonīt have a hand he can call with that often, but your equity when called isnīt that hot here.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM

This is just a giant spew IMO. Just c-bet and shut down if he does anything. Wait until you have at least a pair, then start doing this.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM

i would have loved your line if you actually had a hand
Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 PM

too expensive to check raise bluff maniacs. They arent likely to fold any piece . You just made an expensive bluff.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would have loved your line if you actually had a hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have a hand here 29/30 times - meh.

BAsically I decided that either he was the type of lagtard to fold a small pocket/ or BP or a pair of 4's here - OR he was the type that's calling with his gs or fd (I'm ahead of both of those usually) or any pair - and then I still got 6 outs up my sleeve.

He tanks and eventually calls with his A4cc and I miss my 3 outs.

Still shortly afterwards the nit to his left leaves the table so I jump seats to catch the Jesus seat. Sadly I then run card dead and before very long he stacks off with KQ v AQ on a Q high flop.

Altho as it turns out after he quit the table the rest of the guys continued to play like nits apart from the guy that stacked him - we tangled a little and I got him calling off almost his entire stack very soon afterwards with Ace High on the river vs my flopped boat, and left the table up 100bb on the sesh - had I not pulled this huge bluff I doubt I'd have got as much action then...

Which got me thinking...

Is it better to tangle with a maniac and trade a stack or two hopefully getting the best of it and taking his chips before some nit does catch AA and wipes him out? Or is it better to wait for a hand and then push it hard?

If a maniac sees a nit raise it's relatively easy for him to get out of the way unless he flops goot. If you get in there and mix it up a bit with marginal hands maniac is not so sure whether you have it or not - and also if he does empty his pockets to some other guy at the table they might in turn peg you as a nutter and overplay TPTK in a few hands time for 150bb+

I think in future I will be going for these peoples balls more often - hey I have a solid bankroll I can handle a little variance - I will report results back some time later.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Either B/F or C/F flop, you'll get his money when you have a hand. You just need to wait for a better spot.