Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Basic Theory: -Expected Value-

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope this makes things a little clearer now.

[/ QUOTE ]

My concern still exists: if you're talking about the EV of calling his all-in, even if you specifically know his hand, you don't include the money you're putting into the pot in your calculations. If you're talking about the equity race AFTER you've made the call, you include the full pot.

To put it another way (and this is why I included a hint in my first reply) neither your net win nor your EV for a given hand can be bigger than the amount of money put into the pot by players other than yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

So to be perfectly correct our EV for calling in the AA hand example is 68BB not 168BB - but otherwise OK?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So to be perfectly correct our EV for calling in the AA hand example is 68BB not 168BB - but otherwise OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from that minor difference, yeah. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(Actually, the EV of that call is 80.64.)
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 PM

Excellent, a new basic i put into my brain. *bookmarked*
Old 04-17-2007, 07:17 PM

SKLANSKY BUX LDO
Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 AM

I have not yet seen the right answer for the first example: AA vs KK. I see a lot of calculations, but they are all wrong.

You have to call an all in on the flop. Now the only thing that matters when talking about EV, is the expected value of the call. The question is correctly asked: "What is the EV of calling knowing we are against specifically K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with our hand, A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?"

And here is where the mistake is made.

Preflop this is the action:
- SB posts 0.5 BB
- BB posts 1 BB
- CO raises 4 BB
- SB folds
- BB calls 3 BB

So there are 8.5 BB in the pot when the flop comes.

The flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

And now our opponent will move all in with the kings, and tells us what he have, so we are sure he has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

We can call or fold. Ofcourse we will call... but what is the EV of this call?

Well...

There were 8.5 BB in the pot already, and now the villain put in his remaining 96 BB. This results in a pot of 8.5 BB + 96 BB = 104.5 BB.

Now here is the situation for us: we can call and win, or we can call and lose. Winning will happen 91.6162 % of all times. Losing will occur 8.3838 % of all times.

And now pay attention very closely: When we win, our profit is not 100.5 BB (0.5 BB from the SB plus 100 BB from the villain)! When we win, we will win 104.5 BB. How is that? Well ofcourse we will win the 100 BB from the villain, and the 0.5 BB from the SB... but we will also win the 4 BB that we put in ourselves preflop.

And this is a tricky thing to understand... this 4 BB is ours, so why do we win it? Well, you decided to raise 4 BB, and from that moment on, the 4 BB is not yours anymore, it is in the pot, and you can't take it back. This is a concept that in economics they call "sunk costs" meaning costs that result from decisions from the past, costs that can not be changed anymore. And the 4 BB that you raised are exactly that. They are not yours anymore, so they become a part of your potential profit.

If we lose on the other hand, we will actually be 100 BB down in that hand... but we are talking about the EV of the call here... and the call is 96 BB. So we lose 96 BB on the call, and not 100 BB.

These concepts are VERY important to understand!

So, know that we know that, what is our EV? Well:

EV = (0.916162)(104.5 BB) + (0.083838)(-96 BB)
EV = 95.738929 BB - 8.3048448 BB
EV = 87.4340842 BB
EV = 87.43 BB

And this is the only correct EV from the call. All the other ones you will read in this topic are wrong. On average, you will win 87.43 BB per call you make on the flop in that situation. A very profitable situation as you see, but not as profitable as the author of this topic wrongly suggests: 168 BB.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 AM

Default Post deleted by Ryan Beal

Old 08-05-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The actual results don't matter, as long as my range is accurate

[/ QUOTE ]

Your decision to call the bet is the whole issue for me and that's based on the range of hands you give below isn't it?

Here's your selected range JJ+, 55, AhKh, AJs, J5s, J2s, Ts7s, 52s, AJo, J5o, J2o, 52o

But IMO some of this range (J5o, J5s, J2s, QQ+) is not as likely to be raising all-in as JJ+ for instance.

Do you agree and if so doesn't this change the EV result significantly? More to the point how do you deal with this in the heat of battle when deciding to call?

[ QUOTE ]
I play using the general rule that I should never fold a flopped set for ~100BB. The reason being that no matter the flop if we can get all the money in on the flop we are almost always a favourite to win the hand at the showdown vs our opponents range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Continuing the theme of my post why do you say "we are almost always favourite to win the hand vs. our opponents range of hands"? What range of hands do you consider when making such a decision or do you automatically call all-in bets given the same hand and board?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Future is Here!!!

Online Spades for REAL money! Use visa/mastercard or even Paypal! Accepts USA players.

Go to your browser, and type in:

SUPERsadasSPAdqS.COM

[/ QUOTE ]

can someone ban this guy already
Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your decision to call the bet is the whole issue for me and that's based on the range of hands you give below isn't it?

Here's your selected range JJ+, 55, AhKh, AJs, J5s, J2s, Ts7s, 52s, AJo, J5o, J2o, 52o

But IMO some of this range (J5o, J5s, J2s, QQ+) is not as likely to be raising all-in as JJ+ for instance.

Do you agree and if so doesn't this change the EV result significantly? More to the point how do you deal with this in the heat of battle when deciding to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was somewhat able to grasp the Galfond Dollars concept, but if I was quizzed on it I would probably fail. Does this quote above pertain to a G-Bucks situation, or not?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM

great post
thanks for clearing things out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]