Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Winner
Michigan 44 38.26%
Ohio State 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Executing Child Rapists

[ QUOTE ]
What extra value would you give to someone imprisoned for life in a max security prison over someone given the death penalty?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it turns out we convicted an innocent man (as sometimes happens), we can release someone from prison but we cannot unexecute them. If they are indeed guilty, then they're locked away from society anyway. I just don't see any benefit to execution over life imprisonment.

This is not about "redemption or the "sanctity of human life" to me. It is simply about being able to undo an injustice if it comes to light that one has been done. The government is not perfect, nor are prosecutors, judges, or juries.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM

So again, it comes to a straight EV decision.

If 1 person in 1,000,000,000 was executed incorrectly, vs $20,000 per year in costs for keeping an inmate incarcerated, (Money that could be spent on better prorection for ALL citezens) then would it be better to have the death penalty for such crimes?

IOW, what is better, having X number of inocent people put to death or having Y number of inoccent people subjected to peadophiliac rape for cost z?

That is what I was referring to when I said it was an EV calc.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If 1 person in 1,000,000,000 was executed incorrectly,......

......IOW, what is better, having X number of inocent people put to death or having Y number of inoccent people subjected to peadophiliac rape for cost z?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assumptions are idiotic to the point of trolling. This is why I normally don't even argue with people who can't help but frame the other side's position in such a dishonest manner.

1) We are not talking about a 1 in a billion chance of an innocent man being executed. We're probably much closer to 1 out of 40.

2) Again, and for the last time: WE ARE NOT DECIDING BETWEEN EXECUTION OR GOING FREE, so stop talking as if anyone we don't execute will be out raping kids tomorrow. We are talking about either execution or prison (your inability to acknowledge this simple distinction is a big part of what makes you a dishonest troll).

If you want to put a dollar value on an innocent man's life and make your stupid EV calculation, go ahead. Just remember, that life could be your own one day.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:38 AM

i wonder if some of you who have taken a very liberal stance on the rapist being "sick" or "ill" and therefore needing "treatment" have ever had any sort of meaningful relationship with someone who has been a victim of child molestation/rape.

if being a child rapist is the same as having a sickness like cancer, and I was willfully going around infecting kids with my sickness (or at the least leaving them with severe mental/emotional scars), then I think it's reasonable to execute the cancer victim alongside the rapist.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wonder if some of you who have taken a very liberal stance on the rapist being "sick" or "ill" and therefore needing "treatment" have ever had any sort of meaningful relationship with someone who has been a victim of child molestation/rape.

if being a child rapist is the same as having a sickness like cancer, and I was willfully going around infecting kids with my sickness (or at the least leaving them with severe mental/emotional scars), then I think it's reasonable to execute the cancer victim alongside the rapist.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I agree with. As a matter of fact, I strongly support the death penalty (and murder charges) for rapists who, while knowingly infected with HIV, rape a woman.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If 1 person in 1,000,000,000 was executed incorrectly, vs $20,000 per year in costs for keeping an inmate incarcerated, (Money that could be spent on better prorection for ALL citezens) then would it be better to have the death penalty for such crimes?

IOW, what is better, having X number of inocent people put to death or having Y number of inoccent people subjected to peadophiliac rape for cost z?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be objective and try to use some facts.
There was 1058 executions since 1973 (379 in Texas) and at the same time 123 death-row prisoners have been released since 1976 because they were innocent. In addition, at least seven people have been executed even though they were probably innocent since 1976. Do a math, that's not close to one of a billion IMO.

Also, a death penalty costs more than life in prison. The most comprehensive death penalty study in the country found that the death penalty cost North Carolina $2.16 million more per execution over the costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment.

Death Penalty 101
Old 11-22-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be objective and try to use some facts.
There was 1058 executions since 1973 (379 in Texas) and at the same time 123 death-row prisoners have been released since 1976 because they were innocent. In addition, at least seven people have been executed even though they were probably innocent since 1976. Do a math, that's not close to one of a billion IMO.

Also, a death penalty costs more than life in prison. The most comprehensive death penalty study in the country found that the death penalty cost North Carolina $2.16 million more per execution over the costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment.

Death Penalty 101

[/ QUOTE ]
Its an attempt to differentiate between principle and practice. I'm against in principle so the error rate is unimportant.

In practice the error rate is so high that everyone should be against the death penalty. There's also the people who are guilty of what they are accused of in law but are not the people anyone sane wanted to be accused of a crime e.g some kid that had consensual sex with someone slightly younger and is technically guilty of pedaphilia.

chez
Old 11-22-2007, 10:26 AM

Child molesters aren't going to stop; evidence furthermore suggests that their recidivism rate is obscene. Right now many children are killed because, after they have been abused, the offender is concerned about legal reprimand and silences the child. Think, for just a second, about what would happen if it didn't matter whether you raped a child, or raped and murdered a child? WHO WOULDN'T KILL THE CHILD?!?!?!?!

YOU GET THE SAME PUNISHMENT- SILENCE THE CHILD

Child Rape= death
Child Rape + Murder= death

Anything seem screwy with this equation?

Cam
Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But others rather see 20 child rapists go free than chance executing one innocent man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go free?
What part of Life Imprisonment do you not understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Life Imprisonment is more punishing the taxpayers than the perpetrator. Being an atheist I have no problems with moral dilemma.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those costs assumes the convicted are entitled to all those appeals. Just shoot them after the trial.