Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: $1500/month working from home...how?

There are a million things out there that any young, bright individual who has decent social skills will be able to get paid to do. Some examples are:

Nightclub promotion
IT consulting
Sales for little known/higher end products (along the lines of really expensive kitchenware, vacuums, etc.)

I know people who write grant applications, letters to the immigration bureau, and other documents to the government for their clients. I'm not sure on the qualifications required for many of these services and I'm sure some of those people that I do know doing this don't have them as required by law but they do it anyways.

These are just a few options. OP should basically figure out what types of services the people within his immediate network require and research on whether or not he can get paid to do it and how much he needs to learn before he can start.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a million things out there that any young, bright individual who has decent social skills will be able to get paid to do. Some examples are:

Nightclub promotion
IT consulting
Sales for little known/higher end products (along the lines of really expensive kitchenware, vacuums, etc.)

I know people who write grant applications, letters to the immigration bureau, and other documents to the government for their clients. I'm not sure on the qualifications required for many of these services and I'm sure some of those people that I do know doing this don't have them as required by law but they do it anyways.

These are just a few options. OP should basically figure out what types of services the people within his immediate network require and research on whether or not he can get paid to do it and how much he needs to learn before he can start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you can't make 1500 a month from home selling Kirby, Rainbow, or Cutco. So sales is almost out of the question.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Thremp,

What's the commission on a Rainbow vacuum or one of those Platinum cookware systems? I've seen people make a load of money selling these things but they usually have an edge that puts them ahead of the pack. Usually this edge is from being entrenched in a certain ethnic community where they get very easy referrals.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:29 AM

In general, find something you love to do and then find a way to make money at it. This is much better in the long run then finding something that doesn't interest you but makes you some money.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:30 AM

leader,

not necessarily. the things that people want to do aren't always the things that other people will pay enough money for to afford the standard of living that one wants to have. only a select % of the population will have the opportunity to do this while the rest of us have to adapt and learn to find the mundane jobs that we take for granted interesting enough to do for the rest of our lives
Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

What's the commission on a Rainbow vacuum or one of those Platinum cookware systems? I've seen people make a load of money selling these things but they usually have an edge that puts them ahead of the pack. Usually this edge is from being entrenched in a certain ethnic community where they get very easy referrals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked for Cutco for several years and am familiar. Top level sales people in these jobs are frequently lost to other top sales positions because the pay is not competitive. Assuming I worked 55 hours a week (very hard with self driven sales) I could do around 50-75k a year fairly easily. This is before expenses etc. And that is a very low figure. There is always the possibility of finding a gold mine and as time goes on it goes up. But if you can do that kind of sales, there are better places to go work. That said...

You learn a ton about selling things. I'd say I'm more qualified to sell anything than anyone in this nation who solely has a marketing degree and no actual sales expierence. It also looks great on a resume. I've been offered numerous jobs which are full-time college degree positons while not being able to fulfill either part. BTW in case you didn't catch the memo sales is one of the most highly paid positions in the nation.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Build some content based websites and either sell ads or use google adsense/yahoo publisher network (probably 40-50 crappy sites at least needed)

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you build the traffic?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:39 AM

If you can sell Cutco you can sell anything.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can sell Cutco you can sell anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I wouldn't quite go that far. Its not super pertinent to business to business sales (IE if you sell something to businesses already... Its probably better) But you can make a ton of money selling the stuff. But once you get very good... I don't know why you would stay unless for outside reasons. There are better jobs where top people make 300k+ instead of ~200k.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Build some content based websites and either sell ads or use google adsense/yahoo publisher network (probably 40-50 crappy sites at least needed)

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you build the traffic?

[/ QUOTE ]

directory submission, SEO, link exchange, adsense arbitrage