Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Decisions to join or not join the military

[ QUOTE ]
Are either of you... homosexual?

What, you mean, flaming? or...

It's just a standard question we ask.

No, we're not homosexual, but we are willing to learn.

Yeah, would they send us some place special?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why that movie doesn't get more love. It is one of my favorites.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 PM

I didn't join the military because I think doing so is immoral in most cases.

The U.S. military has clearly served in some noble efforts like World War II and the Civil War. However, there have been cases, like the Philippine-American War, where all but the most reactionary jingoists agree that America fought unjustly and on the side of wrong. Since our country has shown the capability to fight unjust wars, I feel it is immoral to sign up and, if a war breaks out, fight regardless of whether or not that war is just.

To clarify, I don't think it is always immoral to serve in the military. If a person was to join in order to fight in a specific war that he or she thought was worthy and just, then I feel that would be a noble act. Also, I don't consider all who serve in the military to be immoral or bad people. I think in most cases they are young people who have either been taken advantage of or made a bad decision.

Regardless of my opinion, I wish you the best with your choice.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 PM

Keep in mind if you join the American military now, you do it for a undetermined period of time - signed up for a single year tour on your contract at the recruiting station? Nope, you just got backdoor drafted into 2 more years! Congratulations!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 PM

I'm considering joining the marines after college. It would be a great opportunity if I were able to join the JAG corps, but would suck [censored] if I got stuck in infantry.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Its funny that when you sign up, they tell you that you will get all these great skills you can use in the civilian war, get college credits, etc.

(Now especially) When you go to get out from after serving, in order to get you to re-enlist they will tell you that you won't be able to do anything in the civilian world, no one is going to hire you, even if you get a job you won't have benefits and worse pay, you are behind all of your peers... you might as well stay in, look you are a SERGEANT if you re-up!

Actually its not funny, because even if you get out, you can get called back in to go to Iraq (which happened to me...then I took matters into my own hands but that's for an ask me thread later)
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 PM

Ironic to me because I joined the Air Force one year ago today. Basically, I joined because I felt like I wouldn't do very well in college at the time, and I really didn't have any idea what else to do. I felt that it would give me valuable experience for living on my own. I think it's been just fine so far. I've gotten some good training that probably would have been pretty expensive in the civilian world. I work with computer network devices (basically, Cisco stuff), so it's mildly useful outside of the military.

I guess everyone really has to decide themselves whether they want to join or not. There are quite a few drawbacks (deploying to the Middle East for example), but there are also a lot of misconceptions about the military. I feel it was good for me, up to this point. Hopefully it continues to be so.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 PM

My best friend joined the Navy kind of out of the blue after he graduated college as a nurse. He went to officer training instead of boot camp and pretty much hand picked where he wanted to be stationed (San Diego).

He worked in the psych ward in a military hospital for a year or so. As of a week ago, he was at Fort Polk doing combat training in preparation of his tour in Kuwait. He says he likes it though and will probably become a career man. As an RN, he certainly wouldn't have had trouble finding a job anywhere he wanted.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ironic to me because I joined the Air Force one year ago today. Basically, I joined because I felt like I wouldn't do very well in college at the time, and I really didn't have any idea what else to do. I felt that it would give me valuable experience for living on my own. I think it's been just fine so far. I've gotten some good training that probably would have been pretty expensive in the civilian world. I work with computer network devices (basically, Cisco stuff), so it's mildly useful outside of the military.

I guess everyone really has to decide themselves whether they want to join or not. There are quite a few drawbacks (deploying to the Middle East for example), but there are also a lot of misconceptions about the military. I feel it was good for me, up to this point. Hopefully it continues to be so.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between deciding whether or not you should walk into a recruiting office and sign their usual form with the understanding that there is a high likelihood of being shipped into a warzone vs signing up to work as a [censored] network admin. No offence but from the thread I gathered that the question was more of "would you sign up as a grunt", not would you apply with the knowledge that there is very little chance of going near combat.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 AM

I enlisted despite a high draft lottery number primarily because I saw the hypocrisy and shallowness of the anti-war movement (which I was heavily involved in) at Kent State.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between deciding whether or not you should walk into a recruiting office and sign their usual form with the understanding that there is a high likelihood of being shipped into a warzone vs signing up to work as a [censored] network admin. No offence but from the thread I gathered that the question was more of "would you sign up as a grunt", not would you apply with the knowledge that there is very little chance of going near combat.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I think this was an unwarranted attack.

No matter what part of the world our forces are stationed in, they are serving their country. I, for one, greatly appreciate the sacrifices of our military and their families.