Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Why don\'t you watch boxing?

[ QUOTE ]
Guids,

One of the reasons you don't like MMA as much is because some people use hyperbole to describe what is allowed in a fight? What does that have to do with the actual sport? This reminds me of people I know who used to work in record stores and don't like the Beatles or Kiss because crazy fanboys are retards about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching sports is a social thing for me, I rarely if ever watch a sport alone, so when an MMA match is shown, there is the inevitable "oh man, this is so EXXXXXXXXTREME!" guy, and he annoys me.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM

Fair enough.

FWIW, I love MMA and that same guy lifetilts the crap out of me too.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough.

FWIW, I love MMA and that same guy lifetilts the crap out of me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like mma, dont get me wrong, I dont understand all of the subtleties of it like I do in boxing, so I dont like it as much, but the "extreme" guys and the wrestling-like atmosphere really is a big negative.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boxing is almost not comparable to MMA. Boxing is a sport that happens to maybe/sort of resemble bar fights where players score points. MMA however is the real deal, a fight using everything you can to win. Guys realize this and prefer it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm. So boxers train their entire lives to resemble bar fighters? Do you have any idea how skilled boxers are in terms of precision, handspeed, footwork, endurance?
I'm an MMA guy through and through but I know enough to respect a proficient boxer. Simply for knowing some BJJ, I want to step in the ring with a talented boxer? certainly not.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 PM

You guys are totally off topic. We all know boxing is skill heavy, but that really has nothing to do with it's mass appeal or lack thereof.

Skill is not the issue here at all
Old 10-15-2007, 03:52 PM

it becomes the topic when wild, unfounded assertions are made.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:20 PM

A simple way to unify UFC, Pride, Fedor/Chuck stuff is to PAY THEM SOME [censored] MONEY.

These guys get paid [censored] compared to what UFC makes in PPV revenue. If some group came along and offered big name fighters millions per fight they would all flock there as soon as their current contracts are up.

It is absolutely shocking how little they get paid compared to the amount of money UFC brings in.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM

B00T,

I think there's a good chance this is where the sport is headed. Two of the sport's biggest stars have shunned the UFC. Meanwhile, Strikeforce is spending a bunch of money and Mark Cuban just held his first card this week. A lot of money is entering the fight economy and there's a good chance fighter's paychecks are going to benefit.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 PM

Mostly because I don't know much about it. I loved Tyson though and have watched almost all of his fights. This is because I am fascinated with his story and life, not really because of the boxing itself.

Partly because you told me that boxing is rigged.

tc
Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 PM

my business plan if I were to have a chance to rival UFC etc.

bulid a new group that is extremely unknown get their name out now there and "launch" say beginning of 2009. The notice is out there and signup a bunch of fighters from now until then... I'd say 10 big name fighters in 5 different weight classes would be optimal..

Come the inaugural PPV event, there are 5 title matches held out of those 10 guys, which would basically be the biggest MMA PPV in the history of the sport. Obviously you have to sign big names but you have a little over a year to get that done. Offer all of these guys 4-5x what they make now, it is still a fraction of what boxers get.

That gets a new federation on the map instantly and with easy transition for UFC/Pride fans. It will be the talk of the industry and people will be lining up to both fight and watch the (one) brand.

Granted, this will take a lot of money but with the amount of money to be made, this would be a solid investment imo