Turn (Pot $30): [8s]

BET lnfjj123, $27.55
Simply Cold: calls $27.55
Hero : calls $27.55

River (Pot $112.65): [7d]

lnfjj123: is all in ($79.78)
Simply Cold: calls ($79.78)
Hero . . . . ?

Seat 1 (the SB in the hand) is a general garden variety idiot / lagtard and has just lost almost half his stack the hand prior. No real reads on seat 5, he seems standard and I've only played a couple of hands with him thus far.

Now I know a lot of people will say to fire this flop, and you're right - I have 12 nut outs and can handle a checkraise. In this particular situation I switched it up; I'd been raising and c-betting a lot of flops and taking it down, figuring a check here with a strong hand would get me led into by the tilting/laggy SB on the turn and nobody would figure me for the nuts should I hit. As it turns out, I hit the flush on the turn and the SB predictably leads, but Simply Cold flat calls. The board has paired and I'm wondering what he could have; I'm not really worried about the SB at all. He might have a lower flush or really just any hand he figures beats the retarded SB's range, so I'm torn here between raising and possibly losing him in the process or just flat calling hoping to extract more money on the river. I opt to flat call again figuring there's more value in letting the SB lead the river which he will almost surely do.

Predictably, SB leads, but the other guy, much to my surprise, cold calls again. What are the arguments here for:

raising?
calling?
folding?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: cold caller in the middle on paired board, nut flush in position, odd

I like betting the flop. Its semi dry and most drawing hands you have beat. This hand can handle a C/R from the bad lagtard and it would put the MP in a difficult decision that would define his hand if he decided to play after you bet and get C/R by SB.

As for the river, I raise this for value. A min raise or close to it. I want to get value from the MP with a weaker flush that is looking for a cheap showdown. Sometimes you'll be up against a Fullhouse from the SB and you want to extract value from MP as much as possible here. I'm not worried about MP having you beat because I think he plays a flopped set harder and if turned a boat then he would have raised on the turn or river imo.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: cold caller in the middle on paired board, nut flush in position, odd

Betting the flop isn't a 'sometimes', it's pretty much an always. Save checking behind the flop when you have few clean outs or a few non-nut outs.

I don't mind overcalling the turn but I really can't see overcalling the river. Infjj123 has to be bluffing and Simply Cold has to be calling with a worse hand than you, and they pretty much both have to be braindead to be bluffing with you behind. It seems likely to me one of them has the nuts. If you called and won, well then, give yourself a pat on the back, but you should still be folding this.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 AM

i like sc00t post
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 AM

Default Re: cold caller in the middle on paired board, nut flush in position,

Minraising vs folding is neutral because you always lose 78$ to SB and win 78$ from MP.
Occasionally SB doesn't have you beat but more often MP wont call your raise.