Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Winning Plays by Rolf Slotboom

I just ordered the Winning Plays NL hold'em cash game DVD set by Rolf Slotboom. If shipping is consistant with other products I've ordered from ConJelCo, it should arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.

Once I've watched the DVDs 2-3 times, I'll compose and post a detailed review.

To assist myself in a side project I'm working on, I also ordered Mike Caro's study guide to the original Super System. I have no intentions of posting a detailed review of that product.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Winning Plays by Rolf Slotboom

Got home from work last night around 11PM. Checked the mail slot and, sure enough, there was the package from ConJelCo.

I LOVE IT when the cheap shipping option is still timely. Boo Yeah!

I'm going to watch the DVDs twice each, then post my detailed review.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:40 PM

Cool. I was thinking of getting those. I would like to hear a review.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM

Any update on these dvds? I've always enjoyed Slotboom's articles. Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I like them. I have lost count of how many times I have watched them.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:49 PM

I just got this yesterday and have only watched the first DVD so far (Optimal Pre Flop Strategies), which seems to have a fair amount of overlap with NLHTAP. I do like his style though and am looking forward to the next 2 discs. I'll post back after watching those.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM

I watched the 2nd and 3rd discs... one thing to note is that the target audience is limit players moving to NL (first 3 discs, 4th is NL moving to limit). Quite a bit of disc 2 contrasts how you'd play hands in limit vs NL. It is also purely for cash games, although he does at times mention differences between tournies and cash games.

I was aware when I bought the DVD set that the focus was on transitioning from limit to NL, which I'm not really doing, but got it mostly b/c there weren't any other books I was interesed in right now... I figured I'd work thru these until the flynn/mehta book comes out.

One thing I noticed is that there is little (or no) discussion of table size (FR vs. Shorthanded)... Rolf occassionally discusses live vs online play, but mostly in the context of stack sizes (min/max buyins and how that affects your strategy). There is much analysis on stack size and how to play against different caliber opponents and the number of opponents seeing the flop, etc, but nothing specific to FR or 6max.

If I hadn't already read NLHTAP and Ciaffone & Reuben's PL & NL Poker I'm certain I would have gotten a LOT more out of these. But I still found them useful (for context I play mostly stars NL50 and less often NL100). The examples help reinforce some of the concepts discussed in those books.

This is the first poker DVD I've seen, and its a nice change of pace from reading a book. Plus, I downloaded the audio tracks to my MP3 player and even without the video the narration holds up making it possible to follow along.

Even though I was familiar with a fair amount of the material, I still really enjoyed these. They weren't terribly expensive ($58 inc shipping, I'm sure I picked up enough to win that back) and I like the format. You can get a feel for it by watching the YouTube clip where Rolf discusses absolute position vs relative position (this was taken from disc 2, there's a link from his website). If you're in the target audience I don't think you'll be disappointed, but people who have been playing NL for awhile and have read many of the books typical for a 2p2'er might find it a bit redundant.

If anyone has any specific questions I'll try to answer.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 PM

Great idea to download the audio tracks.
Wish 2+2 would get going in the audio book area.
I think its great when you have read and visually put to memory the graphs etc and then just keep playing the audio and recalling visually the graphs etc as needed.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I downloaded the audio tracks to my MP3 player...

[/ QUOTE ]

How were you able to do this? I tried with my ed miller dvds, couldn't figure it out, and finally gave up.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 PM

There are a bunch of apps on www.download.com that will do this. The one I used was called Ease DVD to Audio Ripper. They have a 20 file trial period. That covered the first 2 DVDs. Same company has a similar product called DVD to MP3 Ripper, which I used to get the audio from Disc 3 (that one also has a 20 file trial).