Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Future of the MMB forum discussion

There are going to be some upcoming changes in this forum.

1) Linking sites you're affiliated with is not allowed. This rule was always in place but was not enforced in the past. This is the request of 2+2 admins and is non-negotiable. If you want to make a post but feel like this rule hinders you please PM me and I will help you find a solution that benefits you, the forum readers and 2+2.

2) When the forum software is upgraded in April we are planning to merge this forum with the Finance and Investing forum. The reason for this is that the quality and quantity of content in this forum is not as we think it can be.

Before you freak out there are two things I'd like to make clear. First, this plan is not set in stone. If things change over the next couple weeks and this forum turns around significantly Mat has told me they can easily leave it as is. Second, if we do go through with the merger I plan for the forum to be re-split in the future. If I didn't think this forum could survive on its own I would not have wasted my time being a mod here.

3) I want to see the direction of this forum shift to more interesting and valuable topics. This is the primary reason I wanted to moderate the forum. I'm interested, both personally and professionally, in the topics at hand but I don't think they're getting the sort of discussion they ought to. Right now there is a ton of discussion about tweaking adsense sites, flipping trinkets on ebay and things like that. I don't mean to imply that these topics aren't worthy of any discussion, but I think the people here are capable of a lot more. To make a lame poker analogy, I feel like this forum is devoting way too much time talking about what hands to limp on the button preflop and not spending nearly enough time talking about more complicated and valuable topics.

I'd like to see the site actually live up to the title. Some ideas for topics I'd like to see more coverage on are: hiring decisions, analyzing attractive markets, brainstorming business ideas, problems/tips on expanding, what makes a successful entrepreneur, raising money from investors. Those are just some things off the top of my head, I'm sure a lot of you can think of many others. Basically what I'm getting at is that I want to push the boundaries of what people feel comfortable discussing. The way I got better at poker was by responding to and analyzing situations I didn't really understand. I was wrong a lot but I learned a ton and I think the same can happen here.

I'll probably add some things to this thread as I think of them but I'll post this for now so people can start discussing it, commenting on it and telling me I'm a jackass. Feel free to post any opinions on the things I've written, your own goals for this forum or reasons you think I'm being an idiot.