Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Most over-rated poker book of all time?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Supersystem is very over-rated. Ace on the River sucks as well but i don't know if anyone rates that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace on the River is one of the best books on poker I've ever read.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Supersystem is very over-rated. Ace on the River sucks as well but i don't know if anyone rates that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine has dubbed it 'Ass on the River'.

It should be noted the book was written quite a few years ago now. Over-rated? I don't think many rate it that high in the first place. But what I see as clearly over-rating, are the rediculous advertisement adds I see for this. They are blowing it up to be one of the most advanced strategy books out there.

Hmmmm...

The only thing I remember seeing new that other's don't cover is.

#1 he mentions a few small things about insurance, and how your decision should alter when a set is vs a draw.

#2 he mentions the other books use 47 for calcs, when in reality the tables for 45 is much more accurate.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM

You don't remember his poker and sexuality chapter... thats about the only thing I do remember from the book for the fact that it was so amusing.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:13 PM

god,im so mad when i hear this:

i often red here, winning low limit hold'em by lee jones..,
is agreat book or it should be the first to read for limit poker....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz how in the hell players recommended this book over intenet texas hold'em(ITH) by hilger or SSHE???

i mean comon...WLLH by lee jones makes u break even at most.....when ITH is very easy to read,tons of good info,and makes u easilly a winner,maybe not a big winner,but at least a winner for sure compared to WLLH...
not even talking about SSHE,wich even if its a bit outdated(in the sense at low limit,the players got signifinctly stronger compared from couple years ago)is still applicable in many games and teaches u how to play a lot better then WLLH.....
Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
god,im so mad when i hear this:

i often red here, winning low limit hold'em by lee jones..,
is agreat book or it should be the first to read for limit poker....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz how in the hell players recommended this book over intenet texas hold'em(ITH) by hilger or SSHE???

i mean comon...WLLH by lee jones makes u break even at most.....when ITH is very easy to read,tons of good info,and makes u easilly a winner,maybe not a big winner,but at least a winner for sure compared to WLLH...
not even talking about SSHE,wich even if its a bit outdated(in the sense at low limit,the players got signifinctly stronger compared from couple years ago)is still applicable in many games and teaches u how to play a lot better then WLLH.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps because it was out before ITH and SSH!!!

Secondly because WLLH is aimed at a (near) beginner audience while ITH and SSHE are aimed for a more advanced audience.

The books pretty much admit that themselves (WLLH advises people to read SSHE after reading WLLH, SSHE mentions its an advanced book and recommends you read other books first, in ITH, Hilger recommends people read something like WLLH first.)

But then having read those books you probably already know that!!

Also, on this forum more people probably recommend Millers beginner's book than they do WLLH (personally i like both, and think WLLH is fine for starting out but would recommend moving onto ITH as quickly as possible and then SSHE.

DB
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 PM

"Perhaps because it was out before ITH and SSH!!!"

well , i often heard that read WLLH b4 other book like ITH(wich im sorry but....ITH can easilly be a greta first book since ther s not much difference between ITH and WLLH for lot of subject ,just that ITH explain it better and more info as well with a nice Q/A after each chapter.....much beter book over all and can easilly a great first book for the majority) LATELY, so your point doesnt stand!

i mean they still recommended NOW, when ITH or the miller on eis out now...that makes it even worste i think!

couple years ago,fine WLLH was ok,no problem with that, but god,now im still hear people to suggest this book over ITH or strat in hold'em (i think) from miller...

i think its time it stop....WLLH should be gone now....
Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't remember his poker and sexuality chapter... thats about the only thing I do remember from the book for the fact that it was so amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was not helpful to me. I do remember the part, about trying to make an agreement with your lover/spouse about having a sex partner when off on a poker trip, to keep you focused on the game.

Now I understand what he is saying here... but i've tried this arguement with my girlfriend before. Sad to say, she doesn't agree with it.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Perhaps because it was out before ITH and SSH!!!"

well , i often heard that read WLLH b4 other book like ITH(wich im sorry but....ITH can easilly be a greta first book since ther s not much difference between ITH and WLLH for lot of subject ,just that ITH explain it better and more info as well with a nice Q/A after each chapter.....much beter book over all and can easilly a great first book for the majority) LATELY, so your point doesnt stand!

Montreal corp ,

Have you read all three books in question?
WLLH can only be over rated if it fails to achieve what it states for its target audience... You have not shown that it does fail in that regard, and i am happy to argue with you that it does work, as that is how i learnt the basics behind limit hold em. WLLH is about giving a new player to hold em a basic foundation in which they learn to play tight, and trying to minimize difficult decisions while trying to learn the basics. At the lowest limits it works, I havent had any problems with it, but then I only play online as there are no live limit games where i live (in the UK).
perhaps you read an earlier edition of WLLH? or maybe you had experience of poker or limit hold em before reading the book (i had none, except watching NL games on the TV a couple of times).
In my first reply, I was simply stating that the target market for the books are different, and that the authors themselves support that point of view. Of course you can read ITH before WLLH, but some people may get more out of reading WLLH or GSIH before ITH. AS i pointed out earlier Matthew Hilger in his book recommends reading WLLH before ITH...and Miller recommends reading other books before reading his....are you saying they are wrong too?
Furthermore, most threads on this forum regarding limit books discuss the relevance of ITH and SSHE and WTO...GSIH and WLLH are not discussed as much as those three...try searching the threads and see how often they are talked about!
I mean they still recommended NOW, when ITH or the miller on eis out now...that makes it even worste i think!

couple years ago,fine WLLH was ok,no problem with that, but god,now im still hear people to suggest this book over ITH or strat in hold'em (i think) from miller...

No-one recommends it over those books (at least i havent heard or seen anyone post on this forum to that affect) only that it should be considered reading before those books (depending on the experience of the player concerned)

I'll say it again, SSHE, WTO and ITH are aimed at different audiences to that off WLLH...your argument is like comparing a york notes on Shakespeare with a peter and jane book!

i think its time it stop....WLLH should be gone now....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, dont read any beginner limit threads as i will be probably recommending it to complete newbies like i was.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:19 PM

I think everyone fails to realize that many of these books are obsolete because of the books themselves. If it wasn't for SS1, no limit would not have advanced in the coarse it has.

If it wasn't for HEFAP, many of the tactics of Limit would still be unknown to a mass audience. It is because with this information, that new information must be written, becasue the "typical" player is now the player described in these books.

Many of the books mentioned on this thread are still must-reads, because they a) bring you up to speed and b) still force you to think about the game, while suggesting a correct base strategy.

No single book, or any collection of books, is going to make you a winning player.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No single book, or any collection of books, is going to make you a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone reads Bill Chen's book, and takes the time to re-read it until he understands it... then I don't understand how he could NOT be a winning player.