Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Default 3/6 Live. I\'m rusty on limit Hold\'em.

#1: 2 limpers. Hero limps A6s. Button calls. SB folds. BB checks.
Flop is A76 rainbow. Checked to hero. Hero bets. Button calls (Loose passive. I've seen him call down with bottom pair frequently). BB calls (drunk off-duty dealer). Turn is Q. Check. Hero bets. Button calls. Blind check-raises.

#2. Lag raises. Unknown calls. Another lag calls. Hero calls in SB with ATs (meh). Flop is AT6 rainbow. Hero leads. Lag 1 folds. Unknown calls. Lag 2 folds. Turn is 7 which puts 2 clubs on board. Hero leads. Unknown raises. If I 3-bet, what is my plan if villain caps? If I call, what's my river plan. Is there ever reason to fold?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Live. I\'m rusty on limit Hold\'em.

[ QUOTE ]
#1: 2 limpers. Hero limps A6s. Button calls. SB folds. BB checks.
Flop is A76 rainbow. Checked to hero. Hero bets. Button calls (Loose passive. I've seen him call down with bottom pair frequently). BB calls (drunk off-duty dealer). Turn is Q. Check. Hero bets. Button calls. Blind check-raises.

#2. Lag raises. Unknown calls. Another lag calls. Hero calls in SB with ATs (meh). Flop is AT6 rainbow. Hero leads. Lag 1 folds. Unknown calls. Lag 2 folds. Turn is 7 which puts 2 clubs on board. Hero leads. Unknown raises. If I 3-bet, what is my plan if villain caps? If I call, what's my river plan. Is there ever reason to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

1: call down from the turn raise. consider raising PF to buy the button and make the blinds pay to play.

2: 3 bet PF for value. bet the flop. i call down against many, against others I 3 bet. with no reads call down. there is hardly ever a reason to fold Top two pair or better in a limit game without 4 to a flush or 4 to a straight showing, and you'd probably do well if you never did.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1: call down from the turn raise. consider raising PF to buy the button and make the blinds pay to play.
If I'm playing a suited A rag, don't I want a volume pot and encourage these players to come in?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If I'm playing a suited A rag, don't I want a volume pot and encourage these players to come in?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is only true if you hit a flush draw. your A6 can also win a number of other ways:

a) hitting the A.
b) winning on nothing when you Cbet the flop and turn.
c) winning with just a pair of 6's.

your chance of a, b, or c happening is greatly diminished when you limp in and let the blinds as well as others see the flop for cheap.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is only true if you hit a flush draw. your A6 can also win a number of other ways:

a) hitting the A.

your chance of a, b, or c happening is greatly diminished when you limp in and let the blinds as well as others see the flop for cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if it were a tighter game, then yes I see value in this. In this particular game, I can't see the button or blinds ever folding and I doubt I have much of an equity edge.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, if it were a tighter game, then yes I see value in this. In this particular game, I can't see the button or blinds ever folding and I doubt I have much of an equity edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have the highest flush draw. in a multiway pot that gives you already a 4-5% edge in equity.

that is substantial.

i also dont see how you can conclude the button will never fold. in my crazy loose 7.50/15 game, the button folds reguarly to preflop raises (but not the blinds, but i still dont mind that).

i encourage you to at least try varying your play and raising this PF in position after multiple callers. if you see poor results long term, then stop it. all i can tell you is that this play is profitable for me in live games. do i always do it? no. there are other factors to consider, like how you play postflop, the likelihood of a 3 bet after you, etc. and i dont think that this is a must raise. however, it is a raise you should alwasy consider making, and you should think about the reasons for doing so.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a) hitting the A.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think there's the wrong number of players to raise preflop. You've got 2 before you and probably two after you (I make the assumption the BB will almost always call the raise, and either the button or SB will call semi-regularly). Which means (a)-(c) are all not that likely since a better ace is more likely, a c-bet needs to get 3-4 folds, and a pair of 6s probably won't win. If you could be more confident in getting the blinds to fold, or if there was one fewer limper I think the raise makes sense.

If there were more people you could raise just to build a very nice pot where you likely have an equity edge with your Axs.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 PM

I fold A6 preflop almost always. im probably too nitty tho.