Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 AM

Default River fold?

Live 10-20 utg open limper, next player to my direct right open raises this means a pair 77 or above or AK. I have AA and 3 bet everybody folds including the open limper....strange for this game actually.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check,bet, call

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check, bet, call

River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
check, bet, checkraise

Fold? I really can't call with this can I?(raising is not even a consideration) If I really feel he is weak(but not ultraweak) loose. Thanks I appreciate the input.

Swiss Cheese
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: River fold?

Guessing it was a typo but only one player can open in a hand, be it limping or raising.

You call.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:11 AM

Hmm. Maybe I'm doing a disservice trying to help out in the mid-stakes forum.

Fold?!! It would take every ounce of restraint I could muster not to 3-bet!

I suppose if he's weak enough that you can't picture a hand you can beat, then you should just CALL. But I'm NEVER folding AA here.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 AM

i cannnot see how this is a fold .....At all if it is someone please enlighten me. Imagine you are him...would u do this to yourself?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:42 AM

Against some players you could probably fold here, but I wouldn't do that based on the limited info you gave in the OP.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 PM

You seem to know more about this player than you mentioned in your description at the beginning,& perhaps he knows your game pretty well,too.

If this guy "knows" from your betting that that you have an overpair & "knows" that you will pay him off,then there's nothing that he could have except JJ,& you can safely fold.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:48 PM

when he c-raises you on the river, he is expecting you to call as hardly anyone at this level will fold here. thus his raise is for value with probably a flopped full house. barring any other reads (he may view you as capable of folding a better hand, and he is ballsy enough to try this move), fold here.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to know more about this player than you mentioned in your description at the beginning,& perhaps he knows your game pretty well,too.

[/ QUOTE ]I do not know this player but have made some assumptions on his play from the previous 2 hours, I was very comfortable with my read. I also felt that he may think on the 2nd level but nothing beyond that.

Swiss Cheese
Old 01-06-2007, 01:09 PM

I suppose if he's weak enough that you can't picture a hand you can beat, then you should just CALL. But I'm NEVER folding AA here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never folding AA here from a weak opponet that has has no game beyond your cards and his cards. I would think of never raising in this spot but never folding is definately a mistake. Because it is one bet is the only reason I did call

Swiss Cheese
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 PM

If I think back to when I first started playing poker (low limit 5-10 games), once in a while there would be a grandma type who you could fold AA to here. But that's about it.

He could have AA with you and think he's stringing along KK. He could have KK and think he's stringing along QQ. He could have AJ thinking he's stringing along AK. He could have KQs and be trying to get AK to fold. And that's another reason you don't throw away AA here. You make it correct for people to c/r you with all sorts of hands (good and bad alike).

If he flopped, a full (only 3 ways), or sucked one out (only 6 ways), then so be it. Give him his money and be happy he played it bad and didn't get you for a lot more as he should have.

You seemed to be overly concerned with these river decisions. They're NOT that important! Taking all these unnecessary risks on how to extract 1 extra bet (in your 52 post), or to save 1 lousy bet here with the chance of losing a 10 big bet pot, is insignifant. I think you should put your effort into playing the prior streets better.