Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Nines full against loose passive

Live Borgata hand. I was racking up my chips as I needed to leave to catch a bus 5 minutes ago. I have a tight image.

UTG+1 - average player

MP(Villian #1)- bad player. Loose/passive. The usual CC with dominated hands Ax, QJo etc. He's a caller not a bettor.

Button - only at the table an hour or so. Seems okay, average. Not overly loose just haven't heard from him much.

Preflop: I OL 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG (just trying to get a multiway pot going for my last hand as the table is not overly aggressive). UTG+1 raises, MP calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, Blinds call. Six to the flop for 12SB.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
checked to me I bet, UTG+1 folds, MP calls, MP2 folds,
<font color="red">Button raises </font> , blinds folds, I call, MP calls.

Turn: (10BB) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet, <font color="red">MP raises </font>, button calls two, I call.

River: (16BB) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero's plan??
Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Nines full against loose passive

PREFLOP: I would fold this, this hand doesnt play that well in this spot unless the game is really weak/passive. I highly doubt you can turn a profit making this call. So just fold and catch your bus.

FLOP: I would go for a check/raise here. Lets try to build this pot and trap many hands that are drawing dead. Given that you bet I just 3bet/lead here with the FD on the board.

TURN: Given your flop line, you must bet this turn in case BTN's on a free card play. Once youre raised by the passive player all you have is a crying calldown now. So I liked the way you played this street given the action that has transpired thus far.

RIVER: You have the easiest check/raise in the world.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PREFLOP: I would fold this, this hand doesnt play that well in this spot unless the game is really weak/passive. I highly doubt you can turn a profit making this call. So just fold and catch your bus.

FLOP: I would go for a check/raise here. Lets try to build this pot and trap many hands that are drawing dead. Given that you bet I just 3bet/lead here with the FD on the board.

TURN: Given your flop line, you must bet this turn in case BTN's on a free card play. Once youre raised by the passive player all you have is a crying calldown now. So I liked the way you played this street given the action that has transpired thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much exactly what i was thinking as i read the hand.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:36 PM

ILP/PETE, thanks for the response. Couple of things I'd like to point out. You let me know how relevant you think they are.

Preflop: I agree. I will OR this hand a few positions latter just to mix up my range occasionaly. This was one of those what the hay limps on the way out. Bad poker I know.

Flop: My concern in these spots is I can't rely on the PFR to C-bet here into this field. I think this street getting checked through would suck, #1 with the FD out there, #2 if players are going to peel this is the street they'll do it. Also they may be expecting a 9x hand to slowplay here. My image on this particular day may be wrong for this, not sure.

I agree that I am in perfect postion to C/R. How often should we expect an average (live) PFR to C-bet UI overs here?

Turn: yeah I really wasn't sure where I was with my kicker problem against buttons raise. I split it 50/50 between a FD and a better 9x hand so i figure if I had 3-bet the flop he would cap with both a better hand and a FD leaving me still guessing.

I opted for the turn donk thinking I would keep the loose/passive in the hand and even if button's holding A9 he still may not raise many turn cards thinking I may have boated up.

River: Easy C/R?? Maybe. How much weight do we give this loose/passive's turn play towards TT/T9. Don't forget I doubt he raeds hands well. He made this play against a flop donker and a button raiser. Does this guy even know what pumping a draw or a FCP is. I have no idea.

What if he 3-bangs the river?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: My concern in these spots is I can't rely on the PFR to C-bet here into this field. I think this street getting checked through would suck, #1 with the FD out there, #2 if players are going to peel this is the street they'll do it. Also they may be expecting a 9x hand to slowplay here. My image on this particular day may be wrong for this, not sure.

I agree that I am in perfect postion to C/R. How often should we expect an average (live) PFR to C-bet UI overs here?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you dont think he ever bets overcards here then i think bet/3-betting is fine. but i think if we assume typical opponents, the PFR (or someone else) will bet often enouogh that checkraising is better. then when he puts you on a flush draw and 3-bets you can cap. weeeee big pot.

[ QUOTE ]

River: Easy C/R?? Maybe. How much weight do we give this loose/passive's turn play towards TT/T9. Don't forget I doubt he raeds hands well. He made this play against a flop donker and a button raiser. Does this guy even know what pumping a draw or a FCP is. I have no idea.

What if he 3-bangs the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

checkraising gets the right amount of bets in. if you bet he might put you on some stupid straight or something and call. if you bet and he raises, its tempting to 3-bet but getting it capped kinda sucks.

checkraising will get at least 2 bets out of trips. it kinda sucks when he 3-bets but it's an easy call.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much exactly what i was thinking as i read the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 PM

check-raise
Old 12-31-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: My concern in these spots is I can't rely on the PFR to C-bet here into this field. I think this street getting checked through would suck, #1 with the FD out there

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody's folding a flush draw here. The two hearts just add a few more hands with which people will call flop and turn bets.

[ QUOTE ]
#2 if players are going to peel this is the street they'll do it

[/ QUOTE ]

The flip side to this is that if UTG+1 raises a lot of people won't peel when they would have been drawing nearly dead. You are in prime relative position here.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 PM

3 bet turn call if raised lead river
too simple prolly but thats how id do it.