Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Absolute Poker Scandal: An Inside Job

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what would the line be on Gaming Associates clearing AP of wrongdoing? I'd offer at least 4:1 against

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd offer 2098340248029834029840328402984:1, at least

[/ QUOTE ]

booked for $1

[/ QUOTE ]

ok back to srs business
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Most interesting about their statement, however, is their claim that Scott Tom hasn't worked for them in "over a year". Then why was he spamming crap about AP as recently as June, 2007?

[/ QUOTE ]

When did the merger happen? Maybe they would say Scott Tom now officially works for UB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, for the late time, please. AP BOUGHT UB, not the other way around.

Just because Scott is not the CEO anymore, doesn't mean he doesn't have a stake. Most likely he still owns stock.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to commend you all on the scope of this investigation, an amazing job - WELL DONE!!

I have posted warnings on a number of forums with links directing readers back to this thread.

As a member of Gaming Portal Webmasters Association, I have also begun a thread there...

I've removed all Absolute banners from my forum and will be removing them from my website today.

Keep up the good fight!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the edit removing the link to GPWA?
This is def not spamming, I have no ownership or financial gain to be made by linking.... GPWA is an independent resource site.... It would seem to me that this site should be involved in this discussion!
This quote is taken directly from there site....

The Gambling Portal Webmasters Association, the largest forum of its kind on the Internet, was founded in 2001 to strengthen associational relationships between affiliate program managers and portal webmasters, and - more significantly - provide its members with the means to collaborate with other webmasters like themselves.

The GPWA, nearly 4,000 members strong, is an indispensable resource for gaming portal site owners operating in today's complex, volatile online gaming environment. GPWA members represent almost 1,000 portals and 10 million monthly visitors. Our 70+ forums and 175,000 posts provide answers to questions and solutions to problems for anyone running a gambling portal site.

As a member, you'll find it easier than ever to build productive relationships with like-minded individuals - including many of the industry's top gaming portal webmasters - and make contacts across all sectors of our industry. Members also receive a Weekly Newsletter covering industry news of particular interest and concern to portal webmasters, gathered by a full-time team of reporters who have in-depth familiarity with the online gaming industry.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have to commend you all on the scope of this investigation, an amazing job - WELL DONE!!

I have posted warnings on a number of forums with links directing readers back to this thread.

As a member of Gaming Portal Webmasters Association, I have also begun a thread there...

I've removed all Absolute banners from my forum and will be removing them from my website today.

Keep up the good fight!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the edit removing the link to GPWA?
This is def not spamming, I have no ownership or financial gain to be made by linking.... GPWA is an independent resource site.... It would seem to me that this site should be involved in this discussion!
This quote is taken directly from there site....

The Gambling Portal Webmasters Association, the largest forum of its kind on the Internet, was founded in 2001 to strengthen associational relationships between affiliate program managers and portal webmasters, and - more significantly - provide its members with the means to collaborate with other webmasters like themselves.

The GPWA, nearly 4,000 members strong, is an indispensable resource for gaming portal site owners operating in today's complex, volatile online gaming environment. GPWA members represent almost 1,000 portals and 10 million monthly visitors. Our 70+ forums and 175,000 posts provide answers to questions and solutions to problems for anyone running a gambling portal site.

As a member, you'll find it easier than ever to build productive relationships with like-minded individuals - including many of the industry's top gaming portal webmasters - and make contacts across all sectors of our industry. Members also receive a Weekly Newsletter covering industry news of particular interest and concern to portal webmasters, gathered by a full-time team of reporters who have in-depth familiarity with the online gaming industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

not spam eh? why is this post written exactly like an info pamphlet then? lol.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM

This post was taken directly from their "about Us" page.... so it is an info pamphlet. But it's their pamphlet not mine. I posted a link to this site on their site because they actually help regulate the online gaming industry, check them out and see for yourself!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Step 1 would be to have a non retarded employee look at the hand histories in question from their own data.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, they come off as if not a single person who works for them on the security team or otherwise understands the game of Hold Em. It's so blatant that anyone who has experience playing and has a grasp of basic poker theory would immediately say "OH SH*T, WE GOT A BIG PROBLEM HERE!" and throw the whole security team on it immediately.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 AM

Indignation does not correlate to accuracy. Posters here are very indignant that "equitable" is not a noun and they are very indignant that an "equitable remedy" means something illegal. Rather than asking an attorney or visiting a dictionary, the posters angrily spew their interpretations on here.

The word "equitable" refers to the division of British courts into the legal ("at law") and the equitable (i.e. the chancery). The courts have different jurisdictions and different remedies. In the United States, the distinction remains, somewhat lessened by the federal rules of civil procedure.

There are thus different remedies, some of which are only available in an action at law, and some only available in an equitable action. Which precisely are available depends on the jurisdiction, but typically money damages are available in actions at law, but injunctive relief is available in equity.

Hasn't anyone here read the constitution? What do you think the 7th amendment means?

Also, because of the French influence on British law, many legal terms have the adjective following the noun, that is why "remedies equitable" is perfectly reasonable.

Anyway, despite the firm belief among posters that every successful bluff is "proof positive" of cheating (wow, the adjective follows the noun, I must not know English), and that an "equitable" remedy refers to a contract hit: no, this is not the case. An equitable remedy is just another form of legal remedy, distinct from a remedy at law.

Please return to your regularly scheduled indignation now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolute Poker reserves the right to pursue any and all remedies whether in law or equitable which may procure to it as a result of any unlawful and injurious actions...

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this make sense? I mean, grammatically?

edit: I mean, 'procure' is a transitive verb, and I don't know wtf 'equitable' is doing in there in that form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I looked up equitable to see if there was some noun form of the word I was unaware of, and no, it's just an adjective like I thought. It makes no sense whatsoever, and what remedies can you take outside the law anyways, order a hit on someone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it is either more incompetence or some weirdly scary threat.

Also, can someone explain to me what is important or new about this statement? I just can't imagine they would let auditors in if they thought for a second that something could actually be found.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 AM

That letter from AP looks like a prelude to damage control. They distance themselves from Scott Tom (mentioning him by name) and go on to say there is no way anyone can see hole cards in real time. Based on my reading of the letter sent by AP, here is what I expect the investigation by GA to conclude:

GA will find that there was indeed a security breach. They will announce that it appears that Scott Tom placed a secret backdoor account in the system long before the site was even live. Over a year after he left the company, he remotely logged in to this backdoor account and began winning money from other people by viewing their hole cards.

GA will go on to say that all possibility of this ever happening again have been removed. They will say that it was an isolated incident perpetrated by a bitter ex employee who has no current relation to AP.

For their part, AP will exclaim that they are shocked, SHOCKED to hear that this evil man breached them. They will assert that they plan to pursue him aggressively for damages. They will disavow all knowledge of his actions until the good people of the interwebs called their attention to it and they will thank those who have been thanked multiple times in this thread already (thanks again, btw).

This will likely not be the truth, but it will be satisfactory for most people, and life will go on. They can own up to the fact that there was cheating, shift the blame, and join our indignant outrage.

This is what I would do if I were in charge of damage control over there. Should I delete this post to keep from giving them ideas?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 AM

rbnn,
if you'd read on, you'd have seen that we already arrived at these conclusions and I admitted that I was wrong on the point about the use of 'equitable.' Please try to stay with our current train of investigation instead of backtracking.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Did anyone else actually GET that email?

I sure didnt.
Closed Thread