Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 09:41 PM

Default What to do with $14000?

Hello 2+2,

Sorry about the misleading title, didn’t think newbie needs help would get much attention. I am about to embark into the world of poker. I am 20 years old, male, and I have savings of which I am going to use $14000 as my initial bank roll. I am not one to go head first into a situation and thus I would like to feel fully prepared before I start playing with my bank roll. I would like to draw onto the wisdom of 2+2ers to help me on my way. I would be grateful if anyone could answer ANY of the following questions. If you can only provide input on 1 or 2 questions and not all of them that would still be much appreciated.

Q1: What is the best way to get started?
Q2: What books or websites should I read up on?
Q3: Is there any real difference in play on any of the sites?
Q4: Apart from having a good poker strategy will I need to be efficient in anything else to become a successful player?
Q5: I am seriously considering acquiring the services of a coach. Are there any reputable coaches who charge reasonable prices available? I have read that a lot of coaches analyze hand histories and send feedback etc. I feel that a personable approach is needed thus can anyone provide me details of a coach who can teach over the phone, IM or in person and teach me the basics of poker to more advanced theory, psychology, software, and even the best sites to play on.

Thank you in advance and I hope I can contribute to the 2+2 community once I get going.

Shaz
Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Re: What to do with $14000?

Sorry forgot to put down contact details. If you have any input, advice, are a coach or just want to chat email address is shazv66@hotmail.com.

Shaz
Old 02-20-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello 2+2,

Q1: What is the best way to get started?
Q2: What books or websites should I read up on?
Q3: Is there any real difference in play on any of the sites?
Q4: Apart from having a good poker strategy will I need to be efficient in anything else to become a successful player?

Shaz

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.
A1: You need to start small, and get comfortable first. It'll prevent you from making bad plays at higher limits because you are uncomfortable or unaccustomed to the setting, etc. This is good advice for online play at least. Probably not as worthwhile at a bnm though. Which do you plan on playing?
A2:SuperSystem, Theory of Poker, HOH I and II (for tourney play, but good no matter what). I've read those and know they're worthwhile. Also, Small Stakes Hold'em has had many praises on this forum, though I haven't read it (yet), and I don't know if you're going to be playing "small stakes," or even Hold'em for that matter. I would just go to Amazon.com, and search for every book about poker and/or the game you are going to specialize in, and take a closer look at anything that looks interesting/educational. And just so you know, some poker books aren't really that fun to read. Theory of Poker is practically a textbook for poker. Not too fun to read, but it's probably the most educational poker book I've ever read.
A3:Ok, so you're playing online then. Yes there is. Just google a few poker site reviews and read up. PokerStars and PartyPoker are pretty popular, so they can't be all that bad.
A4: YES! I can't stress this enough. Making +EV plays is just the tip of the iceberg. There's also money management, emotional control, and just being in control of your game in general. You have to resist playing games that are -EV for you. You have to be able to recognize those games in the first place. You have to keep yourself from tilting off your money. You have to NEVER risk more than you're comfortable losing (for more info on that, check out the ever popular "folding AA preflop" thread). On top of that, you can't just play poker. You have to have a plan, a vision for moving forward. You also have to be learning at all times, getting better.

Whew. That said, are you talking tourneys or cash games? If tourneys, Sit n Go, or Multitable? If cash games, Hold'em, Omaha, Omaha8, Stud, Stud8? Obviously you won't want to read Small Stakes Hold'em if you are going to go into Omaha8.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:36 PM

Start with a $300 bankroll .5/1. Move up when you get 300BB for the next level (i.e. $600 for 1/2). Force yourself to move up when you hit that number. Move back down once you hit 100BB for that level (i.e. $200 for 1/2).

After you've moved up to 1/2, I would start trying out different games like 1/2 shorthanded, no limit, pot limit. I would also try out Omaha, Stud, SNGs and other variations of poker. Find what works for you.

Study hands in the appopriate poker strategy forums. Don't ever stop moving up!

As for books I'd get Winning Low Limit Hold'em, Small Stakes Hold'em to start off with. I'd also recommend HEPFAP and TOP but you won't need those anytime soon. A lot of the info in the above books you can find on the 2+2 forums, but you have to learn to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:50 PM

Thank you for all the info so far. Very helpful!!!! I'm going to concentrate on holdem. I don't know what I'm going to play in respect to tourneys or cash games. Time will only tell. I'm already raiding Amazon for some books.
Thanks again.
Shaz
Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 AM

Also if you want a more thoughtful response post threads in the appropriate forum. Instead of sticking this here it would belong better in the Beginners' Forum, there's a lot of good posters in there.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:43 AM

I am not one to go head first into a situation

Seems like you just did.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:19 AM

Bet it all on black.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 AM

For books for limit holdem full ring games, I found Internet Texas Holdem, Winning Strategies of an Internet Pro by Matthew Hilger and Small Stakes Holdem by Miller, Skalansky, Malmuth very helpful.

As for sites you can't go wrong with Stars or Party, I prefer the software at Stars. Do not play on the Pokerroom network, their rake is brutal.

Limit holdem full ring is a great place to start, the knowledge you gain there will help you if you transition to No limit later.

You've already found the best resource for strategy discussions and information here at 2+2.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:32 AM

please understand I am trying to help you. THe BEST thing is for you to lose every scrap of that 14k. As your last $1 chip is being dragged in by some old fart at a commerce 3-6 table remember your initial question and ask it then. You might be ready to here the answer.