Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Another Hollywood Park Trip Report: dream table, valet nightmare

[ QUOTE ]
I actually liked the meals there. Better than at The Bike! They had a great middle eastern chicken and rice thing that was outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are either ordering off a secret menu at HP or ordering horribly wrong at the Bike. I actually haven't looked at the menu at the Bike since 2001, maybe the good stuff there is on a secret menu.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:24 PM

I forgot another part of the story. So for a bit at the must-move table I was sitting to the left of this strange-looking fellow. About 38-40 years old, extremely nerdy, pale, and awkward. All of a sudden during a hand he grabs his head and looks down at the table and goes, "awwww... AWWWW...shhhhhit."

I asked what the deal was, and he said he left something in his car.

OK.

"I'm flying to Thailand tonight. My car is in Torrance; I'm taking a cab here to the airport."

He decides it's no big deal and he's gonna just forget it. So I ask why he's going to Thailand and he tells me his wife lives there, and they're getting married. "Well, we're already married but we're getting married over there now." I certainly don't pursue a line of questioning in this conversation.

Then ten minutes later, he peeps again: "I can't believe I forgot that!"

Is it important? "No, it's not like my passport or anything."

Is it something you can buy in Thailand? "No. It's my sinus medication."

Eventually he decides to wake up two of his friends. His flight is in just under 2 hours. He calls one guy on the phone and tells him to drive over to someone else's house, find this guy's car, look in the center console, get out the red tupperware thing with the medicine, and then drive it up to Hollywood Park to get it to him before he leaves for his flight.

Then he calls the friend who lives in the house where his car is parked to make sure he's up, because another guy is driving over there to get into the car for the medicine. I realize these two other guys must be really good friends to help out Mr. Thailand in the hours before he flies over to marry his Thai bride.

Also, during the session this guy complained about the food in Thailand being spicy, and he hates spicy food. From the HP service he ordered a plate of french toast that he inhaled while playing poker.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:54 AM

lol
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 AM

your post made me happy on several levels. great trip report.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HP was always my favorite room in LA for some reason. It just felt comfy to me - all grungy and sad. i almost miss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's comfy for me too. I place a high value on not being claustrophobic and it seems there are more seats in HP's top section with adequate space than any other room in the city. Plus the place seems to have a higher goofy fun quotient than some of the other LA clubs.

Obviously though you should plan on eating before you go and when you get home, going for one survival meal mid-session.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually liked the meals there. Better than at The Bike! They had a great middle eastern chicken and rice thing that was outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

The middle eastern chicken aka chicken kabobs is one of my staples, the chicken is always very tasty and nicely done. It's also the only club that has good corned beef hash for breakfast.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, I was friendly with all the brushes and floor personnel and it's always nice to go to a place "where everyone knows your name."

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a comfortable place and overall takes up 30% of my rotation even though it's the farthest away from where I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick
Old 01-08-2007, 05:03 AM

the thing to eat at hp besides pinks is 276. cant miss with 276.
mike
Old 01-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Exactly what I needed in my world right now...a friggin HP report on 2+2. PJOKER let me set things straight. I've been playing there about 10 days straight 10-14 hours each day. That game suks! U must have been there on a full moon. I NEVER find good 15 games there. I usually end up in the lower section cuz the game is so tough. Thre must have been some sort of giveaway that night or something . HP suks...its dangerous...the valet is not free...the food will make you sik...(even 276)...stay away PLEASE.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 AM

never leave extra keys in your car with the valet and never have anything that shows your addresss or personal info.