Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: 10-20 hand: How many bets do you go?

bet flop given your reads...will he not also call flop? I think he will. he may even raise. If he does then u can just call to slow down. and hammer later. River I prolly felt depending on how much that actually is. well sometimes ill stop at like 30 bets.....
Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 AM

mike lol i guess i was wrong...back to my lurkhole....
Old 01-06-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

messing with that chance of making some bets when you flop the big nuts is dangerously -EV. betting heads up here is playing with fire. save that for a large field, and even then with kings full it might be most profitable to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think you all neglect on how a bet disguises your hand here on the flop.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

messing with that chance of making some bets when you flop the big nuts is dangerously -EV. betting heads up here is playing with fire. save that for a large field, and even then with kings full it might be most profitable to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think you all neglect on how a bet disguises your hand here on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's quite the opposite. Unless my descriptive english is off, my read was that, in fact, in this player's mind, a check is a bad hand, a bet is a good hand. There is no semibluffing. If I'm bluffing, and he has nothing he'll let me have the nothing-pot. He certainly won't raise. If he bets/raises on any particular street, his range is exactly {nuts,river desperation bluff}. And with a K he's just calling until the river anyway because he's a loose passive FPS fish and that's what he does (and in fact did in the hand anyway).

I check the flop, and his mind goes "click, my opponent doesn't have a king." Against the loose-passive, 1st level thinker (will put you on a hand if its obvious), what's the point of disguising your hand if he will call two big bets on the turn and river if he makes a pair, but will fold for one small bet unless he has a piece of the board?

Betting out here gives you a King a good percentage of the time (in addition to a 6 or two spades). Bet out the turn, and you have any of the above plus a pair of whatever rank the turn card is, plus a total bluff because he checked the flop. Plus he might pick up a second best hand. Plus its a small pot. This, as mike l has gone through, fits every rule in HPFAP for slowplaying, especially in this particular situation. Against an aggro tough handreading superstar, a bet might disguise the hand better.

The only argument you have that's valid is if you are prepared to go to the felt with this hand regardless of what comes on the turn and river. That essentially makes the pot big (in theory terms) and you should play your hand accordingly.