Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: A coincidence that bothers me

i mean, you could say it is a bigger coincidence that earth is a habitable planet; it is just the right distance, size and atmosphere to support life
Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 AM

life as we know it, that is
Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Using wikipedia numbers I get that the sun is 389.17 times as far away as the moon. The sun is 400.67 times as big.

If they were significantly closer I would agree, but those numbers are far enough apart that it's just a coincidence and probably has no real implications.

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon you can find some data much more significantly closer if you just keep looking. Must try harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the numbers have at least 6 decimal places. Unless the numbers are wrong, the answer can't be much closer than what I figured, unless I screwed up somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
not the precision of the measurements but the quantity of them. Measure enough paramteres of enough objects and you'll find any plenty of 'significant' closeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my bad. I thought you were disagreeing with me.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Using wikipedia numbers I get that the sun is 389.17 times as far away as the moon. The sun is 400.67 times as big.

If they were significantly closer I would agree, but those numbers are far enough apart that it's just a coincidence and probably has no real implications.

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon you can find some data much more significantly closer if you just keep looking. Must try harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the numbers have at least 6 decimal places. Unless the numbers are wrong, the answer can't be much closer than what I figured, unless I screwed up somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
not the precision of the measurements but the quantity of them. Measure enough paramteres of enough objects and you'll find any plenty of 'significant' closeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So did I [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I agree with you disagreement with the op but thought you were saying that if they were significantly closer then that would have implications.

chez
Old 11-10-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So did I [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I agree with you disagreement with the op but thought you were saying that if they were significantly closer then that would have implications.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold it! Kennedy and Lincoln DO have 6 letters ... explain THAT !

luckyme
Old 11-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Neither the orbit of the Moon around the Earth nor the Earth around the sun are circular, so there isn't even a single ratio.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard it described as a "stunning stellar coincidence" that the moon exactly covers the sun during a solar eclipse. The actual "coincidence" is that the sun, which is 400 times larger than the moon, just happens to be 400 times further away from the earth than the moon.

A fourth grader can point out that the shapes of continents on a world map fit together like puzzle pieces.
In the past this was dismissed as merely a fantastic coincidence. Then came the discovery of plate tectonics.

"Fantastic" or "stellar" coincidences bother me. It seems to me that when something looks to be a "fantastic" or "stellar" coincidence theres probably a correct explanation, not dependent on chance.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

The Moon is receding from earth by like 3cm per year or so. Just wait a while and this coincidence goes away forever.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:46 AM

The Moon used to be much closer to the Earth and is moving away. It just happens to be at this time that it appears to be the same size as the Sun.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard it described as a "stunning stellar coincidence" that the moon exactly covers the sun during a solar eclipse. The actual "coincidence" is that the sun, which is 400 times larger than the moon, just happens to be 400 times further away from the earth than the moon.

A fourth grader can point out that the shapes of continents on a world map fit together like puzzle pieces.
In the past this was dismissed as merely a fantastic coincidence. Then came the discovery of plate tectonics.

"Fantastic" or "stellar" coincidences bother me. It seems to me that when something looks to be a "fantastic" or "stellar" coincidence theres probably a correct explanation, not dependent on chance.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

The Moon is receding from earth by like 3cm per year or so. Just wait a while and this coincidence goes away forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
but that means the OP was correct, just got the wrong date. Spooky stuff!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:26 AM

Why did you make this dishonest thread? This doesn't actually bother you, you're just trying to make a point to show that your stance on creationism is correct.