Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
mbillie - I like you man. But not as much as your mom likes getting stiffed by Boris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 AM

Some of the points in this thread are getting really contradictory and dumb at this point. The main (only?) point I see for tipping is the idea of people giving better service under a tipping system when their base hourly is below minimum wage. So wtf is the argument for saying 'ZOMG never stiff people' like a few people in this thread (cough mbillie) are doing since not stiffing people would totally invalidate the idea of getting better service under a tipping system.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 AM

yeah i think stiffing people occasionally is ok, or leaving crappy tips. i think of it as any other thing, how badly does somebody have to do their job to lose all their pay? that's basically stiffing. so if some guy came to my house to install a TV, slapped the box on the floor and gave me some attitude about it and left, obv i would not pay him. same deal for a service. if a waitress screws up my order and ignores me and ruins my meal and takes forever to bring the check, of course i'll stiff her.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not to drag this on but re: "double standards wrt tipping" ...

ARE YOU PEOPLE [censored] KIDDING ME

pick your battles ffs... if you want to combat double standards and illogic in modern day american life try paying attention to the idiots you're voting for and the bullsh*t news coverage you suck down on tv, ughhhh you nits make me sick, do you people have friends? is there like a large collection of non-tippers out there, tearing it up, not-tipping everywhere they go? god i hope i never accidentally have to eat dinner / take a cab / etc with any of you

wtf leave your fking tip you nits, act like a god damn human being for once in your stupid selfrighteous lives blahhhhhh

i gotta go read smp now to clear my mind wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

So what if tipping isn't a huge deal? Doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss/argue about it. You have yet to make one good point in this thread (unless you count 'people who don't tip are horrible human being's' as a good point). Learn to think for yourself maybe.

Do you think us Europeans are terrible people because we only usually tip when we get exceptional service?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM

Mbille,
I am from Canada, I have lived here my entire life everything you say about tipping per drink in Canada is wrong. I have never been refused service or kicked out of anywhere(or heard of this happening) for tipping poorly

To expand on my story
1. It was a fairly crowded bar it was much easier to just get a 20 out than rummage for change.
2. I still did tip (although I prob shouldn't have)
3. This story should not be surprising to anyone because service everywhere in Quebec is awful.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the alternative is paying more in food costs, and getting very [censored] service.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. Prices and wages are reasonable, and service is OK, in countries without retarded tipping culture (which is pretty much the whole western world except the US).

That said, the culture being there in the US, not tipping at all is despicable if service is anything else than horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is limited to the UK and the US, but restaurant service, food and prices are VASTLY superior in the US. Most people in the UK that had traveled here agreed. I assume this is because of our tipping culture. I had some very bad experiences in expensive places in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everything in the UK is crazy expensive, not just restaurants/bars.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the alternative is paying more in food costs, and getting very [censored] service.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. Prices and wages are reasonable, and service is OK, in countries without retarded tipping culture (which is pretty much the whole western world except the US).

That said, the culture being there in the US, not tipping at all is despicable if service is anything else than horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is limited to the UK and the US, but restaurant service, food and prices are VASTLY superior in the US. Most people in the UK that had traveled here agreed. I assume this is because of our tipping culture. I had some very bad experiences in expensive places in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but why is the service so terrible?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but why is the service so terrible?

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't know. I have never experienced bad service in the UK. Pretty small sample size, though.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 AM

Lets say you're at a college bar and its dollar drinks and you are consistently getting one drink at time during the night. Still tip a dollar every time?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:54 AM

Of course, but 2.15 an hour is a bit ridiculous. There should be a law preventing such abuse. At least pay the freaking waiter 5$ an hour, which is like 3$ less than minimum wage?