Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Default KK on a AAQ flop - FT $75

Was a lost here on just about every street....thought that he was likely on the Q most of the hand but so many draws were completed.

Do you cont bet the flop? Do you give up to the turn bet? Do you you showdown the river? I thought for a long time before deciding on the river. Comments on all streets please.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $100/$200
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $600</font>, 5 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1400, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $800</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3000, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $1200</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($5400, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB is all-in $2770</font>, Hero?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: KK on a AAQ flop - FT $75

Ligically looking at the hand, I think you would have to muck it. You aren't beating much he would stack off with on this board.

The only way I can see calling here, is with a read on the villian.

I don't play the $75's so my idea may be wrong, but I would check the flop behind. Make a small raise when he leads the turn. And check behind the river. Idea being I want to get to the showdow as cheaply as possible.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 PM

I like checking the flop here. Can't be bothered to work out if I should be betting my whole range though, guess it's possible but meta doesn't really matter. Checking KK is best imo.
I'm not folding the turn. Guess call is best.
River, well you've bet flop &amp; called turn so Ax is in your range here, right? And your probably not calling the turn super light so there aren't that many hands worse than KK you can have here? So I guess it's a crap spot for him to bluff (or valueshove a Q) &amp; I guess you can fold, though I wouldn't feel too happy &amp; would certainly dwell up on it during play.
Hard to put villain on a hand. Cold-calling from the SB is often fairly midpair heavy. Reads would help. It's a weird line for Qx, a weird line for Ax, &amp; I'd expect him to muck JJ- on the flop. And there aren't many hearts left in the deck. Shrug, yeah I can see why you were lost.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 PM

They kinda hit the nail on the head, checking the flop makes this so much easier to play. There's no way you're getting value from a worse hand on 3 streets, and you have a chance to make sure no money goes in on this street, so take it. If not for having the Kh I'd fold the turn, I'm definitely folding the river as played.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:27 PM

i check flop bc no value in betting. i shut down and fold the river. what was the purpose of betting the flop?will beter hands fold? will weaker hands call? those 2 questions are always at root of betting.fdraws are only hands i see calling
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 AM

Ok, all makes sense...consensus is to fold this flop. As played the turn call is ok because of the flush draw and fold the river.

I folded the river. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 AM

Wait what? No, I wouldn't fold the flop, actually I'm calling if villain donks it (very unlikely an A donks this flop.) The point is for you to not bet it.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait what? No, I wouldn't fold the flop, actually I'm calling if villain donks it (very unlikely an A donks this flop.) The point is for you to not bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops...I meant check flop in summary post above.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, all makes sense...consensus is to fold this flop. As played the turn call is ok because of the flush draw and fold the river.

I folded the river. Thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/call on the flop because your opponent could be working with a flush draw/bluff/midpair doing something silly.

Edited because you shouldn't fold turn, didn't see Kh.

I would definitely fold turn if he bet more though.

Barry
Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 AM

As soon as he bets the turn I start to think he's trying to get all chips in the middle in stages. So what has he got?

Ace or hearts drwaw now beats you. As does very unlikely 99. Only a Qx / smaller pp you beat but would he slowly milk the pot with these as you could very easily have the Ace in his eyes (you raised pf).

I strongly consider folding turn as we know from his stack and turn bet he wants it all-in on river if we call the turn.