Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: No parachute skydiving prop bet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So in attempt #1 the guy died but somehow the footage was still salvaged? I don't buy it...

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a chute on the guy holding on, obv.

[ QUOTE ]
Phil, air resistance is gonna be about the same, but the force of gravity is twice as strong with two people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not going to insult you Noah, if you were some random 5 post person i might. I also accept you might have been levelling. Its been a good few years since i studied physics for all of 1 year, ignore everything below if you dont care bout random crap.

Gravity is a constant force on the earth and an object accellerates according to the constant force of gravity pulling it down and the force of friction (air resistance) which works 'against' gravity lowering its effect. Mass, and therefor weight as weight is mass times the gravity, is irrelivent to acceleration and terminal velocity.

The reason it might be different with two people is because they are holding onto each other their air resitance might be increased.

So whilst they might have a lower terminal velocity relative to each individually they will never have a higher one - all things being equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am not a physics expert. But I do know that a pair of people on top of one another will fall much faster than a single jumper. Have you ever seen a tandem jump done (i have done a 1200 tandems as an instructor) we use a drouge chute to slow our decent rate to that of a normal jumper which is around 120mph. The reason the two fall faster is there is more weight and less resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Pretty sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09VTn...ed&search=
Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Great post but the guy had a chute.

There was a women years ago, she is in the guiness book of records as the person to have fallen from the higest height with out a chute and lived.

She fell from 38 thousand feet, what happend if I recall correctly is that she was flying in her jet and it just exploded mid flight, he was thrown clear of the plaine and on the way down he passed out or fainted which is understandable.

They think that due to her relaxed body when it hit the ground it some how was better for her to land like that than say you tensing up and shouting "ohhhh fffff god help me".

I believe almost every bone in her body was broken on impact.

There must be some way to fly a wing suit and arch it up and land safely with out a chute, sort of lift your nose up and go bang against the wind to slow right down to a fast running pace then just drop down 10-20 feet, if some one done that, that would be awesome skill, maybe a special suit.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM

LOL classical physics impairaments, or really good leveling.
You guys are the same ones arguing that drag racers should have really skinny rear tires...
Old 10-22-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There was a women years ago, she is in the guiness book of records as the person to have fallen from the higest height with out a chute and lived.

She fell from 38 thousand feet, what happend if I recall correctly is that she was flying in her jet and it just exploded mid flight, he was thrown clear of the plaine and on the way down he passed out or fainted which is understandable.

They think that due to her relaxed body when it hit the ground it some how was better for her to land like that than say you tensing up and shouting "ohhhh fffff god help me".

There must be some way to fly a wing suit and arch it up and land safely with out a chute, sort of lift your nose up and go bang against the wind to slow right down to a fast running pace then just drop down 10-20 feet, if some one done that, that would be awesome skill, maybe a special suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with landing a wingsuit is to get a low enough decent rate you have to have a forward speed 100+ mph. I am thinking if you strap a skateboard to your chest you could just roll out the speed or you could slide down a ski slope. Here is link to about as close a someone has come. http://www.ifilm.com/video/2825385 We just need someone with the balls to try the landing. Maybe the guy who was going to take this will try try to land a wingsuit also
Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM

just a thought on the fast landing, what if they landed in water? If you got a big civilian rig for a slower descent and landed in water, wouldn't that decrease the chances for broken legs?
sick thread btw. I would be interested in seeing/working on this.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM

I'm pretty sure my brass balls aren't big enough to try it though.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same reason drunk drivers are hurt less than sober ones during crashes.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with landing a wingsuit is to get a low enough decent rate you have to have a forward speed 100+ mph. I am thinking if you strap a skateboard to your chest you could just roll out the speed or you could slide down a ski slope. Here is link to about as close a someone has come. http://www.ifilm.com/video/2825385

[/ QUOTE ]
IIRC there's been one survived wingsuit "landing" on a slope with only the pilot chute out.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC there's been one survived wingsuit "landing" on a slope with only the pilot chute out.

[/ QUOTE ]

YDNRC.