Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: No parachute skydiving prop bet?

I may be wrong, but I believe the point in 15 seconds is so that you are falling at terminal velocity = fastest that your body can fall in a given position.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Why cant it be done? Good thing that youre telling me, but I thought it had been done numerous times?

Whatever, I dont have much time these days anyway.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in an Airborne unit in the Army and while this could be done, you would have to be a complete idiot to try it. The problem would be the weight of the jumpers. Most parachutes can safely lower 350 lbs. And safely means it won't kill you but the landing will hurt like hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Redleg is correct here (I was an airborne redleg myself back in the day) but with civilian parachutes the landing is a bit easier.

This isn't the smartest idea and it is certainly dangerous for a noob with 0 jumps, but I have no doubt whatsoever it can be done.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Also this reminds me of the prop bet from "Four Rooms" where the one guy bet his sports car that the other guy couldn't light his zippo suceessfully 10 times in a row. If he failed, he would get his pinky finger cut off. I think that bet would be less retarded that this one by a long shot.

If you never saw the movie by the way, and want to know how it turned out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BzYOrldilP4
Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Yes the 15 seconds is so that you will have reached terminal velocity. With 2 people holding on to each other you will be falling between 180-200 mph. Yes there have been tons of Mr. Bill jumps made (i have done several myself) but they are done by deploying the parachute within a second of leaving the plane. Even then they can become very violent and have a low success rate. In all cases that I know of both people have a parachute except for one low base jump that was done with only one parachute. There have also a few people do chuteless jumps where they jump out with no rig and dock on another person. In all these cases that I know of they have all worn some kind of harness that they clip onto the parachute system that the person is holding for them. But the 2 have not been combined into 1 stunt. I was assuming that they were going to be holding on when they left the plane but if you are talking about the person withthe rig jumping out first and the chuteless one coming out after, well then this is even funnier now.

I think I changed my mind. I saw this done on Point Break so it can be done. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a video where a guy did this holding onto a parachute strap back in the day. It was probably fake or something because I don't think its possible to hold on when it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are talking about this stunt done by Greg Gasson. He has done this one may times and I can assure you he is not an idiot.
http://www.guzer.com/videos/jumping_with_no_chute.php
Old 10-21-2007, 03:39 PM

Both jumpers with out a chute to start the jump, one ready to go between them held between them as they jump.

Both jumpers should be semi naked, boxer shorts and shoes. Both having had a full body baby oil rub down.

Jump should be during the day, "Holder on jumper" can not put his arms or hands above or around the neck of the jumpe with the chute.

Surprised the thread even got to 6 pages with out this kind of correction.

[LOTS OF LAW OFFICALS READING THIS THREAD :-) ]

Go...
Old 10-21-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I saw a video where a guy did this holding onto a parachute strap back in the day. It was probably fake or something because I don't think its possible to hold on when it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are talking about this stunt done by Greg Gasson. He has done this one may times and I can assure you he is not an idiot.
http://www.guzer.com/videos/jumping_with_no_chute.php

[/ QUOTE ]

That's [censored] crazy
Old 10-21-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Surprised the thread even got to 6 pages with out this kind of correction.

[/ QUOTE ]

orly?
Old 10-21-2007, 04:44 PM

how about u throw the parachute out then..5 seconds later I jump out without a parachute.. so i have to get to the parachute and open it