Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Default 20-40 Bay 101

I moved up from the 8-16 table. I expected to find a bunch of LAGs, but instead I found a bunch of TAPs. Really surprised the hell out of me. Most raises in EP caused everyone to fold out. So I adjusted to limping or calling even big hands in EP or otherwise I got no action at all.

Is this normal for 20-40 at Bay101 or did I just hit a weird table. I didn't see this kind of behavior at say Bellagio 15-30.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: 20-40 Bay 101

1) thats exactly how the Bellagio 15/30 plays, its often not as great as people expect it to be, opponents are often aware of position and starting hand ranges.

2) Limping in with some of your range of starting hands early is likely a mistake, I suggest you visit the full ring limit strategy to forum to post some examples for feedback.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM

What's a TAP? Tight-aggressive-passive? I would describe most Bay101 players (maybe 30-50%) as loose-passive. The rest are all over the place.

Anyway, I think it's better to open up your open-raise hand ranges in middle to late position than to slowplay big hands in EP at this kind of a table.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's a TAP

[/ QUOTE ]

Tight Aggressive Player. For whatever reason, the acronym LAP (loose aggressive player) got bastardized around here to LAG (Loose AGgressive, I guess). LAG and TAG actually stand for Loose Aggressive Game and Tight Aggressive Game. Kind of interesting, actually, that OP used LAP "correctly" but TAG "incorrectly."

-McGee
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's a TAP

[/ QUOTE ]

Tight Aggressive Player. For whatever reason, the acronym LAP (loose aggressive player) got bastardized around here to LAG (Loose AGgressive, I guess). LAG and TAG actually stand for Loose Aggressive Game and Tight Aggressive Game. Kind of interesting, actually, that OP used LAP "correctly" but TAG "incorrectly."

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces,

TAG - tight aggressive (aggro pre and post)
LAG - Loose aggressive (again pre and post)
LAP - Loose aggressive passive (aggro pre, passive post)
TAP - similar but tight
SLAP -slightly loose aggro passive
there is also TAN - Tight aggressive neutral, etc, etc

these can be made to fill several styles.

LPP - typical loose passive
LPA, TPP (typical weak tight), etc
and so forth..

The above is typical convention in many forums around here, but not sure if this is what the OP meant when he said TAP.

OP, what you witnessed is not typical of a Bay 101 20/40 game. There are usually, 3 or so loose passives, a few LAGs, often a token maniac, and a couple tighter players that are not your typical TAG. You can finish up the table with 1-2 TAGs at best. Some of the TAGs are bad, and some of the LAGs can be good, but overall the tables are typically nice and juicy.

Also, I think limping in big hands is mistake at the table you were at. If everyone folds, so what.. take your blinds and move on.