Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: AC question

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of violent people in the world, would there not be a demand from these psychos for some kind of organization to protect their interests? Some kind of insurance company that protects them physically and financially against their victims. As the organisation itself has no victims, only its members, then there can be no legal challange to its creation under AC, right?

[/ QUOTE ] Heh. The insurance company for murderers is a great idea. I'm sure you will love some of my other ideas too. I say we move to ACland and start one up. Lets do a life insurance company for suicidal people too. We'll be rich.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My wife is murdered in an AC society. Please explain the process of what will happen after the murder takes place.

[/ QUOTE ]

You call your insurance company, they track down the murderer, and make him pay.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what happens when he calls his insurance company for murderers who will protect him from my insurance company?

[/ QUOTE ]

"We're dropping your policy."

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of violent people in the world, would there not be a demand from these psychos for some kind of organization to protect their interests?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but who is going to step up and FILL that demand? Do you see a viable business model here? How much do you think it would cost to cover someone who is actively seeking to instigate violent conflict?

Think about it. Violent conflict has a negative financial expectation. Given $100, one can use that money to cause a lot more than $100 in damages. Therefore the cost of covering someone like this is NECESSARILY going to be MORE than the amount of money that person has.

So you can see, this is not much of a problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Slightly more to the point, A lot of people don't have insurance, even if they do spousal murder may not be included in the policy (it's got to be pretty low down on anyones list of things to look for). Or there could be a technicality like an unsigned form or a missed payment making the policy void. No insurance = no investigation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Contingency, anyone?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of violent people in the world, would there not be a demand from these psychos for some kind of organization to protect their interests? Some kind of insurance company that protects them physically and financially against their victims. As the organisation itself has no victims, only its members, then there can be no legal challange to its creation under AC, right?

[/ QUOTE ] Heh. The insurance company for murderers is a great idea. I'm sure you will love some of my other ideas too. I say we move to ACland and start one up. Lets do a life insurance company for suicidal people too. We'll be rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Run by murderers for murderers, funds could be obtained by removing gold teeth and watches from the victims. The life assurance could be heavily +EV too. Depressed people never read the small print. $ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] $
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I knew TheLebowski was uninsured and he did not have the means to hire private detectives. I would be free to commit any crime i wished against him or his wife without fear of a meaningful investigation. Or did I miss something?

P.S. Please note that none of the above is a concern under a state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everyone knows how hard the cops work on solving hobo and prostitute murders.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I knew TheLebowski was uninsured and he did not have the means to hire private detectives. I would be free to commit any crime i wished against him or his wife without fear of a meaningful investigation. Or did I miss something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everyone knows how hard the cops work on solving hobo and prostitute murders.

[/ QUOTE ]

So only hobos and hookers lack insurance? Don't try to marginalize what could be a very serious problem. Think about how many people are without health insurance. If you only had enough money for one, what would you choose?

I'll agree, using a lot of man hours and lab time to catch such killers is an inefficient use of resources. Does this mean it should be stopped altogether, or is there more to this world than efficient market solutions?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So only hobos and hookers lack insurance? Don't try to marginalize what could be a very serious problem. Think about how many people are without health insurance. If you only had enough money for one, what would you choose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? Contingency.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll agree, using a lot of man hours and lab time to catch such killers is an inefficient use of resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Inefficient by what subjective standards?

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean it should be stopped altogether, or is there more to this world than efficient market solutions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried about efficiency. It doesn't rule my thinking.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The owner of the street where the murder took place probably doesn't want a murderer running around killing his customers.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? Contingency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor person kills poor person, where will the money come from if they get a conviction?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll agree, using a lot of man hours and lab time to catch such killers is an inefficient use of resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Money to be made from a conviction will be less then the money spent to gain a conviction. That's as subjective as a business can get.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean it should be stopped altogether, or is there more to this world than efficient market solutions?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but it rules the markets. If you want to put markets in charge then you better start worrying.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? Contingency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor person kills poor person, where will the money come from if they get a conviction?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Money to be made from a conviction will be less then the money spent to gain a conviction. That's as subjective as a business can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait.

So under the status quo, there's "money to be made" from convictions if someone kills a rich man? Who's making money here? The state?

I don't see how, by this argument, tracking down killers of hobos is any more "inefficient" than tracking down someone who kills bill gates.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but it rules the markets. If you want to put markets in charge then you better start worrying.

[/ QUOTE ]

States aren't magically exempt from the laws of economics. If a state can "take a loss" with an "inefficient" investigation then free men can surely choose to do the same. Somebody obviously thinks it's worth the expense now. Why would they stop thinking that later?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Further, your anecdotal evidence is not "solid". For starters, where's your control group?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, atleast I have anecdotal evidence.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not discounting that Waco in the final raid did indeed show what can happens when people use poor judgement. But for now, bear with me and let us not look at the final raid but the initial confrontation:

What happens in AC when suspected religious fanatics board themselves up, rumours of them stockpiling weapons and having sex with children surface. and when AC 'law' enforcers show up, a firefight happens?

And it is indeed a fair question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would law enforcers show up? Are they holding people there involuntarily?

Do you think the results could possibly be any *worse* than the "solution" that Janet Reno came up with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spare me the political rhetorics please.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I saw that one coming a mile away since I worded myself badly. By forcefully in my statement I mean absolutely no alternative to working at one specific workplace, except death. Probably the only way you can predict human behavior so bombastically as has been done in some statements in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if there's some "safety net" that provides value to people who don't work (for whatever reason), where does that value come from?

Guess what - someone ELSE has to work to produce it. There is absolutely no alternative to working.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you missed it, I was questioning the models proposed b y ACers for human behavior, not a moral right/wrong of the scenario. Short version is that they are to simple and have no predictive power.