Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Game selection

Hello people,
Im a beginning online player first played alot of 1 table SNG's and am now mostly playing 6-Max with blinds of 0.02/0.05.
I have a "bankroll" of $60 dollars. Started off with $10 dollars just to try it out. Most of you will prolly laugh at my so called "bankroll".

Well my question is about table selection.

When I want to play now I just click a random table with 5 peoples in it (if its a 6max game).
This is probably wrong and I need to use some game selection.

My question is where do I look for when selecting a game at stakes this small where LOADS of people play so its not likely ill see many of the same players.

Any advice apreciated.
Cheers.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Game selection

i dont think table selection is of much importance at the micro levels.

The majority of players you will be playing are $vpip 40+ as you climb the ladder there are less of these players so table selection becomes important. you dont need to worry about this until around 25NL or 50NL.

If you do spot a really bad player, take note of his screen name and find other tables he is on if he is multitabling. its not rude to chase people [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Could you explain to me what $vpip 40+ stands for ?
I know it stands for value put in pot or something ?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 PM

voluntarily put money in pot. this is a percentage of hands the player is playing. at 6max games a tight player can be around 18-20. anything above 30 can be considered loose.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 PM

-If you're a tight player, look for loose tables: big average pot is a good sign, % of players involved in a pot could be too (makes it easier to get a good draw that hits getting paid off, beware of top pair top kicker/overpair kind of hands running into some weirder double pairs)

-If you like to play more aggressive, tighter tables (small average pots, fewer people involved) may be a slightly better idea (pick up lots of easy pots, make better hands fold, frustrate the living daylights out of everyone and go in for the kill when you get a really strong hand).

-Then again, if you're tight among tight, your winnings will be modest, but you'll get a better idea of what other people are doing, what hands they play, how they think through them etc. If you're loose, you may find tight tables boring, or annoying because everyone check/calls to you with really strong hands.