Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-28-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Is Online Poker becoming Rocket Science?

I played B&M poker for many years, read all the recommended books and had moderate success at times.

I have been playing online for 3 years now. I mostly did the bonus whoring thing, but occasionally read threads here on MTTs and software. I got PT and PaHUD, but never utilized them to their full potential.

Anyway, because of my increasingly poor performance in tourneys, and the fact bonus whoring has essentially gone away for US players, I have been trying to learn more about how to make money playing poker online.

I spend most of my time reading now, rather than playing. The more I read, the less I feel I know. Theoretically, I must know more today than I did yesterday, but everyday, my perception is that I am lower on the learning curve.

Each day, it seems like I find out there is some software or website that aids in decision making that I didn't know about. Right now, I estimate that it would take months just to evaluate all the "aids" I've found out about. It might take years to integrate them into my game. By that time, the science will probably have evolved to the point where a pro has to know chaos theory.

Anyway, I'm a little depressed.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Is Online Poker becoming Rocket Science?

First off, I wouldnt worry about the software that "aids in decision making you didnt know about", no software compares to the human brain when it comes to making decisions in poker. Sure, calculators are helpful, but there only as good as how the person uses it.

Also, a lot of types of software that people can use on other sites are not approved on pokerstars and therefore it is a more level playing field for those without all sorts of crazy software.

I know what you mean about feeling that the more you read, the less you know. That can happen with anything that you are learning, once you realize how much knowledge is out there, you feel overwhelmed.

I would try to look for the reasons behind why the authors recommend what they recommend. Not just try to memorize the material. For example, it would be a lot easier to apply your knowledge of implied odds and probability with a suited connector than having to memorize the correct play for every situation.

You might also think about changing to a different format of play that suits you better. gl
Old 10-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Ah, the four stages of learning:

http://changingminds.org/explanation...competence.htm
Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Figure out when you were playing your best. Take everything you have read since then and toss it out of your mind. Test new data/theories one at a time. If they improve your results, incorporate them into your game; if they don't, discard them for good. I read the books very seldom and very slowly - my game has consistently improved over time. Just because it's in a book doesn't make it correct, good for your game or the best option.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Test new data/theories one at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sound advice if you`re feeling swamped.

now, when i re read the books i take one concept at a time and research it on here. If im not getting it i shelve it for a while and move on to the next one.

i`ve found i pick stuff up quicker this way rather than killing myself over one thing over and over

Also i finally got it that there is no rush to know everything.
although that might not be true if you`re pushing 80.

And i have admitted to myself that some of the maths will escape me for ever. Ho hum
Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 PM

I know what you mean, hk. What works to your advantage even if you aren't some game theory Ph.D. is the fact that most of the players who you will be playing against will never be very smart or good. So while knowing something about the math and theory behind the strategies and game is good, essential groundwork for winning play, you can still win just because your opponents suck and also you learn how to improve your own game through by trial and error.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 PM

This is why I think table selection is very important. Find really juicy tables and exploit the worst players. It doesn't have to be all game theory.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 AM

It is and it isn't rocket science, depending upon who you are playing of course. I mean if you are playing high stakes then you are going to opt for optimal play, and that can be very difficult to do. Some people seem to have a natural mind for it, and for others it must take a lot of work.

In most cases though, we utilize exploitative play, wherein we exploit the errors of weak players. So basically, like everyone else said, practice good table selection, because it is simply easier to play ABC-TAG than optimal LAG. When playing optimal you are prepared to sit at nearly any table I think as well (though you certainly should prefer certain tables over others). If playing ABC-TAG, you really are looking for specific tables and sometimes profit opportunities are harder to find.

And I am with you, right now I am a bit depressed and my game isn't actually doing great, as I am in the worst slump I have been in in half a year. Just play through and adjust if possible, and exploit.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 AM

yeah, poker is a science