Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
1) What region is best for cuisine in you opionion?
We found Lyon to be fantastic

[/ QUOTE ]

Lyon is the world capital of gastronomy. Paris has the best gourmet restuarants, though. You can also find a lot of high class restaurants in the countryside. Don't worry too much about food though, there are amazing places everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Do you feel americans are treated better/worse in certain regions? I felt we were welcomed with open arms in the country side of the Beaujolais region but when we travelled to Marseille(sp?) i really felt looked down on. Actually felt really uncomfortable and treated poorly everywhere we went in that city.

[/ QUOTE ]

People in southern France are generally more welcoming, especially in the countryside. I don't know about Marseille (french spelling without an s, english spelling with an s), I've never really been there for a long time. Generally you still should feel welcome in smaller proinvial areas than in big cities, who are used to tourists, consider them an annoyance and don't feel like they have to treat them well.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Whats your favorite French meal?

[/ QUOTE ]

My favourite popular meal : Raclette FTW! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
4) Favorite wine and any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pretty bad frenchman: I don't drink wine! And I know nothing aobut it.

[ QUOTE ]
What was the hardest concept to understand while learning the English language?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there are very hard concepts in english, at least not in the english I speak and write. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've had problems using "this" and "that" correctly, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Is France serious about attacking Iran?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. The population will never support an open war and will probably protest if France supports the US in that attack.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big rilvarly in sports, especially soccer and rugby, but besides that I think the relationships are cordial.

French clichés about english people?
- the men are often gay
- they are a little snobbish and easily shocked
- they are stoic and fair play
- british girls = occasionally beautiful but usually not pretty
- they must be crazy driving on the left side of the road
- they burnt Jeanne d'Arc. Bastards !!!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually only eat cheese during the meals when some sort of cheese is part of the recipe. I'm an exception though.

[ QUOTE ]
But if a foreigner is sight-seeing in Paris and is just looking for a good place to grab dinner, is there some way to tell whether a restaurant is authentic and good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars on the Michelin Guide are usually a good sign. OTehrwise it's pretty much like anywhere in the world: you're never really sure unless you try.