Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Commerce hand

im wondering what worse hands this guy is gonna pay off? i seems more hopeful that he actually folds a better hand.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 AM

Do you guys bet KQ if you're villain and OP checks to you on the river?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:32 AM

A friend pointed out to me that this is an easy bet/fold on paper,and I agree with him. But it was a weird spot given the dynamics of this table and how the game was playing. The villain was pretty tight and solid, but aggressive when he did play a pot and capable of some tricky stuff, basically just a good high stakes player.

The problem I had is that if he raises the river I don't wanna fold. Because he was 3 bet preflop and then checked to and he bet, i think he needs to have a 9 in his hand to raise me on the river (99,J9, 10 9) So if he raises me, I think he is bluffing a fair amount of the time. He wouldn't raise the river with 2 pair or a set, as it looks like i could have 99 or maybe even AK, and he definitely doesn't have AK.

I'm rambling, but I'm just saying that he could bluff raise the river, so I don't wanna fold. But bet/calling sucks too.
Also, what's this guy gonna pay me off with?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Commerce high stakes game.

Tight/solid player opens in MP, very good player 3 bets the small blind, I call 2 in BB with AQo

Flop J 10 4 rainbow, sb checks, I check, mp bets, sb folds and I call. Turn 8, I check/call. River offsuit Q. My play?

[/ QUOTE ]

check/raise.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:54 AM

Ugh for the life of me I can't remember who this was against, but I remember thinking your river choice was fine at the time.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:09 PM

I think the better he is that the more you should lean toward check/calling. If you were playing against me I might try and turn AJ, AT into a bluff here and raise you. Either that or I'd fold.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:53 PM

the more i think about the hand the more confused i get. i gotta think c/c is best vs some and c/f is best vs the others.

by betting you are hoping he calls with aj, at or kq which would not fit with your initial description, unless of course, the game is super juiced up then you should b/c bc the game is juiced up and he may have 33.

as always this comes with the caveat that i dont play in this game and am historically a huge donater at high stakes.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 PM

for the record, this is a cap preflop.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 AM

Bet the flop to get middle pairs to muck.

As played bet-fold river.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Commerce high stakes game.

Tight/solid player opens in MP, very good player 3 bets the small blind, I call 2 in BB with AQo

Flop J 10 4 rainbow, sb checks, I check, mp bets, sb folds and I call. Turn 8, I check/call. River offsuit Q. My play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have an easy fold preflop here. This cannot be a good spot unless your opposition plays poorly, and you claim SB is a "very good player."

But then again, how good of a player can SB be to 3 bet in this situation and then check and fold on this flop?

I would have bet the flop after SB checks - your hand is too good to fold in a decent-sized pot and somebody should be forced to pay multiple bets to take a card off - make it be one of your opponents.

Once the SB decided to check and fold, then calling is fine (this actually worked out great for your hand).

Your turn play is fine, especially if you don't think being aggressive will get you the pot very often (I don't know if it will or not, but I'd tend to think not).

Down the river, what kind of hand do you think the MP has? Really, he's given no indication of anything, since we've only been checking and calling. Part of the problem with your line is that you have done nothing to eliminate any of his hands, so we're guessing here - you haven't even ruled out 99 from his holdings.

That said, I think it's close between betting and checking and calling. I'd tend to bet, though. I'm also not folding if raised - this is a big pot.