Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 AM

Default u flop a trips, opponent min bets. what now

This has happened to me so much in the last month, and i think iv played it wrong every single time. E.G, BB with 9T. flop 993. SB min bets, thers two people to act behind me, do i flat call and hope to drag them in, or do i pump it up now.

everytime i have raised, the table has folded around, and everytime i have flat called, on the turn the other guy shuts down and check folds, or if i decide to check turn again, check fold the river.

when i have raised i have only raised 3-4 times the min bet aswell so i dont feel it has something to do with me pushing him out the pot with a large bet.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: u flop a trips, opponent min bets. what now

A flop of 99x is as free of draws as it gets, and you should not be afraid to give away a cheap turn card with the pot being this small. Your hand becomes rather transparent, though, if you just call a bet with players to act behind you, it seems evident you´re not afraid of keeping them in the pot. But at this level, I don´t think it matters. Let the original bettor bet again on the turn, it´s the only way to get any more money from him if he´s bluffing. If he´s just check/folding as you say, well then he doesn´t have anything, and you´re not gonna win anything from him by betting/raising. Wait until the turn to bet/raise.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM

It's a lose/lose situation every time, if you bet you obv have trips, if you call they obv draw out on you. Thus is poker.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a lose/lose situation every time, if you bet you obv have trips, if you call they obv draw out on you. Thus is poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
That´s the thing, since the board is drawless the only way they´re gonna draw out on you if you have the best hand is if they have a 9 and pairs their kicker, or hits a full house with a pocket pair. The risk for that is not big.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM

I usually check/call the flop. If it's checked around, I'll bet small (1/3 pot) to look like I'm stealing. Then I'll either c/c or bet small again on the river depending on whether I think the villain(s) still in the hand are more likely to bet if I check than call if I bet.

What I try not to do is go broke with open trips in an unraised pot and no kicker. A9s and K9s are very much part of the hand range for guys going nuts post flop here, as are 33 and a lucky turn or river to a full house for pocket pairs. If you show too much strength out of position too soon and throughout the hand, you'll primarily get action from hands that have you beaten and you'll get everyone else to fold. After all, it's not like this board has any straight or flush draws for people to chase. They either have 9x, 33, or they'll fold unless they come to think their 77 or 88 might be good because of the way you play the flop and turn.

So, out of position, I like to play a nice small pot that I plan to win.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 PM

I think you're asking the wrong question. If everyone folds when you bet, then you're not betting enough when there is a low or mid pair on the flop and you don't have trips.

This is only a lose/lose situation if you don't play aggressively. For an aggressive player, this is a chance for a big pot.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That´s the thing, since the board is drawless the only way they´re gonna draw out on you if you have the best hand is if they have a 9 and pairs their kicker, or hits a full house with a pocket pair. The risk for that is not big.

[/ QUOTE ]

yUP THATS WHY WHEN i FLOP TRIPS FROM THE bb i JUST oPEN-fOLD CAUSE i hate GETTING DRAWN OUT ON.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 AM

you all are ruling out draws although a flush draw is still possible if the three is suited to one of the nines. even if they put you on trips they still have 9 outs. if theres a flush draw possible i would consider raising just enough to give them the wrong odds. otherwise i would flat call. if somebody raises (depending on what type of player they are) they are probably playing an A9 or K9 and it's not too hard to get away from the hand.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM

Its probably been said already but if they are folding to your raises or check folding after your calling and this is not just after one session but over a large sample size then one of two things are happening.

1. They are super tight and fold the majority of their hands that are not trips/full boats. If this is the case then proceed in hands where trip possibilities are on the board exactly the same way as if you had them...of course until they adapt.

2. You are playing too tight and your hand is transparent, possibly to the point that they are folding weak trips.

As you see both problems involve increasing your aggression levels to some amount. Therefore you need not ask the question...what should be my modus operandi when I flop trips, but how can i be more aggressive.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 AM

when the board is 993, and you have 9T, there are not many other hands that have hit that board and are likely to pay you off.

thus, you are unlikely to ever make much money, if any, from those hands. just deal the next hand.

to make lots of money on one hand, you need to have a strong hand, and soemone else needs to have a strong, but second best hand. flops like 993 are not good for that - there are only 4 nines in the deck.