Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Brag: Coaching with fslexcduck

see my last post.

in addition, there are some secrets (oooh, sneaky) that i use at my own limit HU that could be disastrous if people found out about them. like something very exploitable i might do 95% of the time. i wouldn't feel comfortable with random people sweating me playing my normal HU game, and i've expressed that to students who have asked to pay me to sweat them.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM

In my experience usually the student plays while the coach says what he would have done differently/mentions alternate lines/explains though process etc.

In tough spots student asks the coach for advice but the final call is up to the player.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
see my last post.

in addition, there are some secrets (oooh, sneaky) that i use at my own limit HU that could be disastrous if people found out about them. like something very exploitable i might do 95% of the time. i wouldn't feel comfortable with random people sweating me playing my normal HU game, and i've expressed that to students who have asked to pay me to sweat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on tell us your secrets
Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
see my last post.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, we posted at the same time so I didnt see it.

if you are playing your own account, just dont make the play then? I mean youd still be playing the limit they want instruction on, so you arent vs your normal opponents.

I mean its obviously +EV for the student, and you personally like it better as its risk free money, so great. Im just looking at it from my personal viewpoint and I would have a hard time as the coach if I dropped 2K on someones account, I would feel bad, and it would prolly effect the advice I was giving them while playing. There are also plenty of people who even tho they understand EV are still going to be not as thrilled about the experience if they lose a couple grand +700. I think id fall in that catagory, even tho I know its stupid and I should be thrilled to pay you basically nothing to coach me, id still be bummed out from the loss, and I would think it would effect my ability to absorb what you were teaching me. Same as when I get depressed when I lose just playing on my own account. Which I know is a problem, but thats just kinda how it is for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM

obv you wouldn't benefit as much from a "coach in the driver's seat" kind of method, which is cool. That's the beauty of the individual 1v1 session... the student is really a client not some 6th grader in a classroom of 33 or a freshman in a 600 seat lecture hall. You say what you're comfortable with, the coach says what he/she thinks will benefit you most, you spend 2 hrs of intensive training together, +EV for all!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM

In my mind it doesnt make sense that one guy is playing while the coach is telling that person what to do. If the coach is going to be deciding what to do then the coach should be controlling the mouse.

In my case I decided to have 100% faith in ducks decisions. It is possible for the student to overrule in the middle of a hand if its the students account.

I hate the fact that decisions are slowed down in the middle of a hand because the coach has to communicate and that could affect the outcome of the hand as a good player uses timing tells vs their opponent as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 DIFFERENT opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg that is crazy
Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 PM

$350 per hour is outrageous and words as student, teacher and coach is a big lol in these circumstances, IMO. Hope you lose 4k next session so you get some perspective on this whole coachingbs!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:36 PM

when i coach, i try to make the student do his normal action - then i critique. i find that if i do it otherwise, they go "Yea, I knew that! Yea, I woulda done that!" when really they wouldn't and they don't learn as much. YMMV.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:51 PM

I don't know, TWP, I think that when a coach is making plays and describing them, a student really gets more out of it because they are watching someone walk them through a different gamestyle and mindset. I see what you're saying, but I really think that what fslexcduck is doing is extremely helpful in bettering someones game.