Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Concepts from NLTP (28/29) - Advises to minraise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, to sum it up, you all agree that those concepts that i quoted are erroneous for MSNL shorthanded games?

[/ QUOTE ]
heres the thing. lets take out metagame, as in opponents play with you enough to pickup on what you're doing (and then exploit it) because that is an obvious weakness of these minraises. (if it is "always" one type of hand / etc.)

so, ignoring that, the reasoning is to build the pot - and the counter, really, to me is... if you are a good player, with just 100bbs, you can build a pot limped or raised regardless... but if youve built a pot bigger (by raising a more standardized size) you often just pick up more money in isolation on the flop etc.

esp. in the aggro current games, with 100bb unless vs a specifically predicatable opponent (generally the nits, but some lags or tags fall into this category) cutting down implied odds is not NEARLY as important as maximizing raw earn vs weaker hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put
Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 PM

I'd personally love to see DS play 100k hands of 5/10+ NL online, using all the strategies found in this book. Then post the PT results here for all to see. If he wins big, I can't imagine a better marketing tool.

Unfortunately, theory & practice are vastly different.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd personally love to see DS play 100k hands of 5/10+ NL online, using all the strategies found in this book. Then post the PT results here for all to see. If he wins big, I can't imagine a better marketing tool.

Unfortunately, theory & practice are vastly different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he would be a winner @ 5/10 cause he's probably a good hand reader and he knows the math in and out. A lot of the stuff in his book will hurt his winrate dramatically though.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:37 AM

maybe making a min raise preflop is +EV because every multitabling tag will note you as as donk?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:42 AM

I haven't read the book, but that's junk advice. I think this would be true if your raises were transparent. But if you raise some limpers occasionnaly with gapped connectors and other cards, then you throw this theory right out the door.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:05 AM

With the current state of online games I think preflop play is pretty much damn near irrelevant. Even average players arent making glaring pf errors so your edge there is tiny. Everyone has read a book now and knows starting hands, position, etc. etc. As Bobbo alluded to, you're making up the bulk of your money exploiting your edge in much more marginal post flop scenarios.

As far as the suggestions given in the book I dont think either of them is particularly optimal for current games. By raising smaller pf you're giving up more vs. donks who would limp/call larger raises with trash, but lowering implied odds vs. good players. So obviously theres a give and take, and I think the better advice is to play the situation and sometimes utilize the plays suggested, but otherwise just focus on your post flop play and dont make glaringly stupid pf mistakes.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the book, but that's junk advice

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. There are even more "nuggets" in the book.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:37 AM

Which Nlbook would you suggest for a Nl MS Player?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Read stickies in MSNL / SSNL and post lots of hands and think. Cardrunner’s videos are more valuable than books imho because they are by proven winners online and directly targeted at the games you and I play. People who want a book to tell them how to win make me mad (not saying you are). With hard work, discipline, and just a little thought your game will come a long way.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 PM

Yeah, cardrunners is much much better than any of the books out there for MSNLer, i think, a lot of books are invaluable for SSNlers though.

I am looking forward for the new 2+2 Nl book, should be a really good one.