Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Default How to maximize EV when you get the odds to draw....

Villain was pretty donkish. He's min raise to me is most likely a strong hand, but i can't say for sure with these kind of players. Just call and draw to the flush? Is the fact that CO is still in the hand more reason to just call?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $52.25
BB: $43.66
Hero (UTG): $50.00
MP: $50.00
CO: $33.59
BTN: $60.35

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, MP folds, CO calls $2.00, BTN calls $2.00, 2 folds

Flop: ($6.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, CO calls $4.00, <font color="red">BTN raises to $8.00</font>...
Old 08-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: How to maximize EV when you get the odds to draw....

I like a call here...minraise here means to me:
1. Probe bet to test for a whiff/cbet on a ragged flopped. Us. with weakly made hand.
2. A draw (hopefully to a lower flush)
3. A big hand

Calling gets the most from all of these as we are likely ahead of #1 and #2 with a ton of outs against TP and #3. I say yes...CO makes you want to call even more.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM

this minraise could be a weaker FD, a straight draw, a weak TP, not "most likely a strong hand".

the catch in the hand is you'd like CO in the hand to pad your draw odds, BUT your equity may change a lot on the turn card.

I personally shove and hope CO has enough of a hand to come along with his half a stack left, and button looks you up with a weaker FD.

the other option is calling. I'd love to hear a debate on both merits.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 PM

yeah, most def a call and reevaluate on turn
Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this minraise could be a weaker FD, a straight draw, a weak TP, not "most likely a strong hand".

the catch in the hand is you'd like CO in the hand to pad your draw odds, BUT your equity may change a lot on the turn card.

I personally shove and hope CO has enough of a hand to come along with his half a stack left, and button looks you up with a weaker FD.

the other option is calling. I'd love to hear a debate on both merits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way with regards to hearing a debate. I really have problems playing a strong draw when i'm the preflop raiser and the flop was multi way.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM

HoldemNewby:
Is raising A9s utg standard for you? Thats about where I make my cutoff unless its a table I can just run over. Not criticizing just curious.

Back to the hand:
I think just calling is the best option here by far. CO is coming along most of the time, if the flush hits it is VERY likely that he (btn) is still going to bet. What sucks is the turn action if you dont catch the flush.

As stated in this thread, a min raise could mean a number of things including a lower FD, set or OESD, probably a TPGK hand that he doesnt know how to play. We have outs against anything that has us crushed here.

Turn action if flush doesnt hit?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HoldemNewby:
Is raising A9s utg standard for you? Thats about where I make my cutoff unless its a table I can just run over. Not criticizing just curious.

Back to the hand:
I think just calling is the best option here by far. CO is coming along most of the time, if the flush hits it is VERY likely that he (btn) is still going to bet. What sucks is the turn action if you dont catch the flush.

As stated in this thread, a min raise could mean a number of things including a lower FD, set or OESD, probably a TPGK hand that he doesnt know how to play. We have outs against anything that has us crushed here.

Turn action if flush doesnt hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a standard for me its the lowest of the suited Aces I raise with from UTG. As for turn, It all depends on what odds i'm given if turn bricks no? If I spike a turn 9 not much has changed i'm still behind T9, 22, TT; an A puts me ahead of T9 but i'm still behind 22,TT,99. Its easy enough with regards to making turn decisions for drawing to the flush (c/c or c/f), but i'm very confused as to what to do if a 9 or A hits on the turn.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM

I agree with Jouster that a call is best here. You are getting great odds to draw to the flush, about 6.5:1 if you can count on CO calling the raise, otherwise 5.5:1.

If you push you will probably just fold out the smaller flush draws, but keep the strong hands like two pair in there. If one of the other players also spike a flush on the turn or river, you´re gonna win a big pot. If they both are afraid of the flush and fold, well, that´s too bad then, but you got there cheaply.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM

If turn bricks I just c/c...villain already displayed poor bet sizing...have to hope he does it again

If an A or 9 hits I bet and call a push. I think we are ahead of villain's range and we often still have outs with decent odds given stacks.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If turn bricks I just c/c...villain already displayed poor bet sizing...have to hope he does it again

If an A or 9 hits I bet and call a push. I think we are ahead of villain's range and we often still have outs with decent odds given stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. Thanks for the replies.