[ QUOTE ]
1. LSU
2. USF
3. BC
4. Cal
5. Ohio

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I agree with you putting a 2-4 team at #5. Maybe you know something that I don't.

I also disagree with putting South Florida (a team that struggles against a crappy FAU team) ahead of 6-0 Ohio State, BC, and Cal.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: College Football Week 6

i think mizzou is the best team in the north but we have by far the worst schedule out of any of the contenders...(kansas and colorado at this point imo)...kansas doesnt have to play texas or oklahoma and colorado gets missouri and kansas at home even tho they are probably worse then both teams..but ya the showdown at arrowhead could be HUGE.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just want to go back here and say that the 70/30 thing for OT was retarded. Teams blow big leads and then win in OT all the time. In fact, in basketball, the team that blows the big lead tends to win more often in OT than the team that comes back due to the extra energy they expended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this? I thought the "trailing team expending energy" theory in B'ball mostly applies to cases where a team cuts a 15 pt lead to 5 before fading. But when you overcome like a ~6 pt margin w/ a couple minutes left it sure seems like that team usually wins in OT.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if either of them played Florida they would be a 10+ or more underdog. Florida is good. I'd pick them over most of the top 10. Definitely over tOSU, USC, and USF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Water is wet?

I'm having my fun, we've been pretty mediocre for a while now, I'm not used to FSU only having one loss.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LSU's coach has bowling balls for testicles.

[/ QUOTE ]

qfmft...last night was sick

the only thing that compared with winning was when the announcer said, "final score, Stanford 24, USC twenty th..."
the stadium EXPLODED.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just want to go back here and say that the 70/30 thing for OT was retarded. Teams blow big leads and then win in OT all the time. In fact, in basketball, the team that blows the big lead tends to win more often in OT than the team that comes back due to the extra energy they expended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this? I thought the "trailing team expending energy" theory in B'ball mostly applies to cases where a team cuts a 15 pt lead to 5 before fading. But when you overcome like a ~6 pt margin w/ a couple minutes left it sure seems like that team usually wins in OT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a 6 point lead's small enough that it wouldn't have too much effect. But if a team's down double digits in the last 3 minutes, and then comes back to tie it in the final seconds, they definitely tend to perform poorly in OT.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also... how was the ONLY mention of Kansas for one person to mention them, and one person to respond with a Mangini fat joke? After their win @ KSU today, which legitimizes their destruction of cupcakes, how can you not consider them the favorite in the Big Twelve North? They get Nebraska at home and don't play Oklahoma OR Texas. If Kansas still isn't ranked in this week's poll I will vomit all over Hawaii's top 15 ranking.

[/ QUOTE ]
It might be because KU is not the favorite to win the Big 12 North. Missouri is. MU has played Illinois at a neutral site and beat them. They CRUSHED Nebraska. Unless Mangino eats Chase Daniel before they play MU, KU will lose that game.

[/ QUOTE ]
All right, well when I posted that I was aware that Missouri was up like 23-6 or so, but I wasn't prepared for a 41-6 final. That causes me to revise my thoughts a little, and I might consider Missouri the favorite now, but here's my Devil's Advocate argument for Kansas.

First off, before we get too excited about Missouri destroying Nebraska, let's think about how good Nebraska is. They might well be the number 4 or even number 5 team in the North. Their loss at home to USC looks a lot less forgivable now, they beat Ball State by one at home, and beating Iowa State by 18 at home doesn't really impress either; not to mention only winning by 3 @Wake. I'm not sure you can grade Nebraska better than K-State (won @Texas, lost to Kansas and @Auburn, by 6 and 10), or better than Colorado (lost to Arizona State and Florida State, 9-1 combined, and beat Oklahoma). So congrats on the win, Missou, but preseason rankings notwithstanding, how much does it really prove?

That said, Missouri's remaining schedule, prior to the last game of the year against Kansas: @Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Iowa State, @Colorado, Texas A&M, @Kansas State. Those are three tough road games. Kansas, meanwhile, has Baylor, @Colorado, @Texas A&M, Nebraska, @Oklahoma State, Iowa State. Two tough road games, but definitely an easier schedule overall. Even if Missouri is the better team, it's pretty likely that Kansas will be a game ahead of them going into the showdown for the North crown.

Now, I'm willing to concede Missouri as the favorite, but I don't think they're even remotely the prohibitive fave. More to the point, though, I'm saying all of this just because Kansas is a team I've been keeping an eye on for a few weeks now. So many teams have gotten massive credit for blowing out (or sometimes not blowing out) bad opponents (see Purdue, Michigan State, Arizona State, Hawaii, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Rutgers, et. al.) at various points this year. Kansas, meanwhile, has been almost completely ignored despite the fact that they've beaten THEIR terrible opponents more thouroughly than anyone else. Now that they finally legitimized it with a road win against a quality opponent, I really want to see them get some respect. Favorite or not, they are a legitimate contender for the Big Twelve North title, and people still seem to be dismissing them.

Is all I'm trying to say.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great game, Tigers. Great heart, etc., etc, but quit the [censored] chomps for once wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe quit being such cocky [censored] [censored] sports fans and people will quit doing that on you

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you ever go to a game in Gainseville you're going to have hundreds and hundreds of trailor park people doing this in your face before, during, and assuming they win, after the game.

This is the main reason be are so eager to mock you with your own gesture.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Prediction: Needle gets absolutely hammmmmmered tonight. Win or lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was true on so many levels. Ugh...I have no idea what to do with this team. They were vastly overrated and I guess all the [censored] people gave them was well deserved. But this is disgustingly depressing. Mike Teel makes me cry. He possesses talent but it only shows itself once a game and then its just some reggie ball [censored].

Rutgers obviously isn't going to win the Big East, I'm concerned if they even get invited to a bowl this year at a possible 6-6 record. I don't even know what to think about next week, I think me defending them on this board is done and I'll keep my mouth shut and just hope they turn it around.

Can Clark Harris and Brian Leonard get another year of elgibility?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bigger upset?

(1) App St over Mich
(2) Stanford over SC

*keep in mind Stanford started their backup QB and App St is a beast in D-2

[/ QUOTE ]

Stanford was 40- 41.5 pt dog, biggest upset ever, officially.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike Wilbon is unimpressed, apparently:

[ QUOTE ]
Washington DC: Wilbon,

How sick do you get of people claiming what just happened is the biggest thing that ever happened? I say this after listening to people claiming that USC losing to Stanford was the biggest upset in college football history.

Are you kidding me? In 5 years time people will still remember Michigan losing to App. State. No one will remember SC losing to a conference opponent.

Michael Wilbon: Anybody who says Stanford beating USC, a conference opponent, is the biggest upset of all-time is moronic and should be shut off.

Biggest upset: I think part of the hyperbole around the Stanford win has to do with the gambling obsession. It seems like a big upset because the spread was so large, not taking into account that the spread is a psychological/economic concept (how do I get money on both sides of the betting), not any actual evaluation of the relative strengths of the teams.

Michael Wilbon: Thank you, thank you, thank you. People have zero idea how the point-spread is established and mis-use the concept all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hater.