Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Favorite Uncomfortable Sports Broadcasting Moments

Not sports but this was pretty funny.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM

A classic moment occurred at the home run derby from maybe 4 years ago. Sosa was up, and Curt Schilling was a guest in the booth with Chris Berman and Joe Morgan. Berman introduces Sosa and the camera focuses on Sosa getting ready to hit. With their mics still on, you hear Schilling whisper something to berman and Morgan and then he says, "He [Sosa] has to say it, right? Bazeball been berry berry goot to me.(in a horrible imitation of Sosa's accent)". Both Berman and Morgan start cracking up, and as the camera shows the three at their booth, Berman realizes that they are on-the-air and he gets this frightened look and quickly tries to shush both Schilling and Morgan's laughter.

It was a classic moment. Definitely perpetuates Schilling's persona as an a-hole.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A classic moment occurred at the home run derby from maybe 4 years ago. Sosa was up, and Curt Schilling was a guest in the booth with Chris Berman and Joe Morgan. Berman introduces Sosa and the camera focuses on Sosa getting ready to hit. With their mics still on, you hear Schilling whisper something to berman and Morgan and then he says, "He [Sosa] has to say it, right? Bazeball been berry berry goot to me.(in a horrible imitation of Sosa's accent)". Both Berman and Morgan start cracking up, and as the camera shows the three at their booth, Berman realizes that they are on-the-air and he gets this frightened look and quickly tries to shush both Schilling and Morgan's laughter.

It was a classic moment. Definitely perpetuates Schilling's persona as an a-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, Sosa himself said this at a press conference once, so I'm not sure why this shows that Schilling is an a-hole. He may very well be, but why does this support that notion?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Also another Nascar classic...

Rusty Wallace was aksed how he felt about Jeff Gordon's wife (now ex-wife) sitting in with the pit crew during their races. Wallace responded something like, "I think it's ridiculous. My wife is up in the stands where she belongs!".

This is what I have been told, so this may or may not have actually occurred during an actual broadcast. Still pretty funny though.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Um, Sosa himself said this at a press conference once, so I'm not sure why this shows that Schilling is an a-hole. He may very well be, but why does this support that notion?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Schilling's tone... he was definitely mocking Sosa. I know he is a joker and everything, but it just seemed mean to me.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who watched the Cubs when Sosa was around "Baseball been berry gooy to me" and "I like to heet dee home run." was my favorite thing about Sosa. I don't think Schilling was trying to be mean/racist/whatever, just funny.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who watched the Cubs when Sosa was around "Baseball been berry gooy to me" and "I like to heet dee home run." was my favorite thing about Sosa. I don't think Schilling was trying to be mean/racist/whatever, just funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Sosa was quoting Garret Morris on Saturday Night Live as Chico Escuela. (My dad claims this line was actually spoken by former Cardinal Orlando Cepeda.)
Old 08-13-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rusty Wallace was aksed how he felt about Jeff Gordon's wife (now ex-wife) sitting in with the pit crew during their races. Wallace responded something like, "I think it's ridiculous. My wife is up in the stands where she belongs!".

This is what I have been told, so this may or may not have actually occurred during an actual broadcast. Still pretty funny though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also don't understand why this is funny/uncomfortable/anything but standard. It's not like he said she was home making him a sandwich where she belongs.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(My dad claims this line was actually spoken by former Cardinal Orlando Cepeda.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Referring to cepeda as "the former Cardinal" is like referring to Will Clark as "the former Oriole". Cepeda was a Giant for most of his career. "Former Giant" Cepeda, please. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is mildly dangerous to be around the pit area and rather pointless. I don't see a problem here.