Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

[ QUOTE ]
I actually dont know if its obscure, but the movie Thursday, is a must see imo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124901/

[/ QUOTE ]

quids you are an awesome poster. This movie is VERY rad. I met Thomas Jane at an HBO party in Las Vegas and brought this movie up to him and he was blown away that I referenced him. He said they made the movie for about a million bucks. He said that Paula was all that......

Both TJ and the evil old friend in the movie have made quite a name for themselves in Hollywood since "Thursday".

FYC
Old 02-07-2007, 12:47 AM

Saw this in the theater. From what I remember it was excellent.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how obscure films need to be to qualify, but "Lone Star" (link) should definitely be seen.

It stars Chris Cooper, who is one of my favorite actors, and also features Kris Kristofferson, who is cast perfectly as a scary sonofabitch. At its most basic level, the film is a mystery story, and it is interesting enough on that right. But it also presents a rich portrait of Texas's multicultural history.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-07-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harold and Maude is very good. I wouldn't call it obscure, but people should definitely see it. Strong soundtrack, which frequently favorably disposes me towards movies.

If you liked Memento, I'd recommend an earlier work by the same director (Christopher Nolan) called Following. It has a really creepy atmosphere, plays around a little bit with the chronology, and is generally just an enjoyable little package.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ahve never heard of Harold and Maude, but it sounds very interesting...... would they have it at Blockbuster?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 AM

They should have it at many Blockbusters I would think.

It's a 1972 film.
If there's a Cult Classics type section it would be in there. Or just under the Comedy section.

I'm not sure of it's DVD status though. Might still be in the VHS-only genre for all I know.

Also - the description of the film that censored posted really doesn't do it much justice or make it sound as interesting as it really is imo.
If you read the description and thought, "18 year-old kid befriends 79-year-old woman. How exciting" then you aren't alone.

I'll repeat what I mentioned earlier:
This was the 'all-time favorite movie' of MANY people I knew in high-school and college.
It was so popular as a 'favorite movie' it was pretty much a cliche. But even though it was a cliche to think of it as a favorite movie I couldn't help but do the exact same thing.

It's really extremely good.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:12 AM

Pretty much all the movies I like are in this category so I'll just toss out a few. Dunno how mainstream y'all are so some of these may or may be "obscure". All super must-sees.

Z :
Based on true events, director Costa-Gavras's Oscar-winning film chronicles the overthrow of the democratic government in Greece. The edge-of-your-seat action closely parallels the real-life assassination of Gregorios Lambrakis, a Greek doctor and humanist whose murder in 1963 led to an abortive public scandal. Part mystery and part thriller, Z made its mark as a groundbreaking political roman à clef, and it resonates even today.

Fireworks (Hana Bi) :
A hard-boiled ex-cop, haunted by a troubled past and pushed and pushed to the edge by the shooting of his partner, confronts his demons in a ruthless quest for justice and redemption

City of Lost Children :
Nominated for a Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival, this sci-fi fairy tale features stunning visuals from directors Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro. With mad scientist Krank kidnapping children to steal their dreams, only brave young Miette (Judith Vittet) and a kindhearted circus strongman (Ron Perlman) can save them. Part fantastic vision, part nightmare, this production used more special effects than any other French film to date.

Romeo is Bleeding :
Corrupt New York City detective Jack Grimaldi (Gary Oldman) has a nice home, a beautiful wife (Annabella Sciorra) and a sweet, if stupid, mistress (Juliette Lewis). Attempting to live beyond his means, he supplies tips to the mob about the locations of protected witnesses. But Grimaldi gets in over his head when he's assigned to guard sultry Russian hit woman Mona Demarkov (Lena Olin) in this quirky black comedy directed by Peter Medak.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
City of Lost Children :
Nominated for a Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival, this sci-fi fairy tale features stunning visuals from directors Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro. With mad scientist Krank kidnapping children to steal their dreams, only brave young Miette (Judith Vittet) and a kindhearted circus strongman (Ron Perlman) can save them. Part fantastic vision, part nightmare, this production used more special effects than any other French film to date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't believe I forgot this one. What a wonderfully weird movie. I strongly recommend for people who enjoy the weird and original. Visually amazing as well.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 AM

-Raise the Red Lantern:
Early Zhang Yimou film and IMO his best; starring Gong Li.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101640/

-One more vote for My Life as a Dog.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
City of Lost Children :

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't believe I forgot this one. What a wonderfully weird movie. I strongly recommend for people who enjoy the
weird and original. Visually amazing as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thirded, and I'll add Delicatessen, by the same directing team (one-half of which is Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who went to do Amelie, etc).
Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 AM

though it was done in the past 14 months, very few people have heard of The three burials of melquiades estrada. This is Tommy Lee Jones' directorial debut and really hits home and is well worth watching.

A foriegn film that doesn't get as much love as it should is the crime of padre amaro. You have the great Gael Garcia Bernal as the main lead in a very intriguing film dealing with the drug trade and problems with the catholic church
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 AM

Two movies come to mind.

<u>Oldboy</u> - This may not fit the description as it isn't completely mainstream, but it IS known about by some.

<u>The Following</u> - Christopher Nolan's work before Memento. Intriguing to say the least.