Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 AM

Default NL100 - Play along w/ AA OOP vs TAG regular in 3bet pot

Villain in this hand is 12/6/2 and is a winning regular in the games. We have some history, yet, nothing really significant. Lots of small to medium pots, usually with me 3betting him and him folding to my cbets or folding to my second barrels. Notes on villain say "Stacks off w/ overpairs easily, Weak-tight, plays draws passive." He likely views me as a solid TAG, slightly overagressive. My table image is very nitty.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($126.60)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($94.50)</font>
UTG ($149.85)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($121.05)</font>
MP1 ($116.25)
MP2 ($74)
CO ($325.65)
Button ($98.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $13</font>, UTG+1 calls $9.

Flop: ($26.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?,

I'm thinking check?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Re: NL100 - Play along w/ AA OOP vs TAG regular in 3bet pot

I like checking.

You're probably not stacking QQ if he's a nit, and anything you beat is way behind.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 AM

I see your logic for checking, but you hand is well defined and you are OOP. I don't see how he can get a card that helps him and will allow you to make more from this hand. Do you think he is going to bet QQ when you check to him?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like checking.

You're probably not stacking QQ if he's a nit, and anything you beat is way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 AM

Ok, on to the turn....

Flop: ($26.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: ($26.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, on to the turn....

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: ($26.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You might as well check again and maybe hope to pick up a loose call on the river. If you didn't bet the flop whats the point of betting now on the turn? Nothing has changed. If he bets your going to call right?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 AM

I also like a check. As the board reads you probably have more equity hoping for a semi-bluff/stab then him calling w/99-1010 and AJ.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 AM

Eh. A pfr of 6 means to me that the only hands (that might be) in his EP raising range that you beat are 99, TT, AQ. You say he's good enough to be position-aware, so he could be raising something outside that range for deception, but I don't see how you can call a raise, which your flop check made a better option for him if you bet. I'm curious to hear what others think.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:59 AM

If villain has a history with you, then play this as if you had AK. With AK, maybe you'd check the flop and bet the turn? Or would you bet the flop?

More generally, given your read, perhaps betting the flop for 3/4 pot and giving up after that might be better than checking to possibly induce worse hands to bluff and/or give you action on later streets.

Given, the read, "Stacks off w/ overpairs easily, Weak-tight, plays draws passive," it is unlikely that he calls your cb without at least a K. QQ and AQ and even AJ probably fold to the cb. So, if you bet out then you can assume he has a K or better if he calls. And given the action preflop, I doubt he has QT, so if he calls you don't have to worry about a passively played draw, just Kx or better.

The bet/fold line wouldn't be very good vs a tricky position player that will play his position and the board well. But it doesn't sound like this villain is that kind of tricky.

So, bet out. If he calls, then you're beat. The situation is less clear if you check and he bets. In that case, he might bet with less than Kx, and you end up with a more difficult decision.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:06 AM

check again, man i wish you had position