Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Applying WLLHE/SSHE/HPFAP to micro games

these forums are way better resources than any book u ll probably ever read. read SSHE to start out and thats really all u need, when u move up to tougher games read mathematics and stox's book. Then with ur free time u could read how good is ur limit hold em, caffes mid limit book, psychology of poker and all the other skylansky and mason books throughout the rest of ur pokering career.

if u really want to get better immediately heres my fast track plan (thats not that fast): go through and read as many posts as u can by miles, ilp, gehrig, danza, heisenberg, all the strat mods in lhe and the high stakes guys victor DD whoever else im forgetting and if u dont know ten times as much about this game after that as u do now i ll give u my bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] haha jk i wont but trust me itd definitely be worth ur time, ur EV as a player will go from noob like to xpert immediately.

dont waste ur time reading any more of mine however :P
Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought the opinion was that "Winning Low Limit Holdem" was a good starter book for no-fold'em games while Small Stakes Holdem was better once you moved up a few levels. Then HPFAP was required once you moved up a few more levels still.

Does anyone here who has moved though the micro levels have any thoughts on this? If someone started at the lowest of the low, say .02/.04, what book would you suggest to them for that level and roughly when you would recommend they read the others as far as moving up goes?

[/ QUOTE ]

WLLH -> SSHE -> HEFAP isnt a terrible plan for the micros. I havent read GSIH but that would apparently be good in the place of WLLH. IMHO its a very reasonable plan infact. I honestly feel that not everyone can jump straight in at SSHE level and that its better to start off a bit weak tight rather than spewing whilst misapplying SSHE.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far. One other thing, in your opinion, at what level will SSHE not take you any further so that you need to start digesting something like HPFAP?

I know that's a hard question to answer exactly, I'm just wondering around what level (online) people feel "tougher" games start that require more than SSHE.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 PM

SSHE is designed for tables that play loose and passive, so stakes have nothing to do with it. I've used lessons from that book at tables as high as 10/20 online.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:00 PM

tough games?

Im currently reading the Stoxtrader book "Winning in Tough Holdem Games" and Im ive got to say that that parts ive read so far cover lots of statistics related stuff for blind defence. this and the hand ranges discussion is right up my alley. I like it.

What pleases me is that alot of what ive read before is talking about attacking/defending blinds. I feel pretty comfortable with the material and that much of my knowledge in these spots has been learned/improved upon right here in the micros. Im treating the book as a way to improve my game incrementally rather than as an "omg, I suck at teh poker and now I have to change everything" mentality. Yeah Yeah, whilst the book focuses on higher limit games than Im currently playing it is still applicable to lowerstakes when you find yourself at tight tables during whoring season. So thx micro bros. You are a credit to 2+2.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SSHE is designed for tables that play loose and passive, so stakes have nothing to do with it. I've used lessons from that book at tables as high as 10/20 online.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. Let me reask the question, at what level online would you say the games become typically more tight/aggressive and finding a loose/passive game would be more rare?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 PM

What I'm trying to tell you is that instead of a rigid line of demarcation, you should be able and ready to notice when a table is loose and passive enough that SSHE applies and when it's not. Not only might two tables be completely different at the same stakes, it might be possible that the same table changes from one to the other as new players rotate in.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM

I started with Hilger's ITH book. And still think very highly of it. Fundamental concepts applicable to all levels are explained very well and it has LOTS of hands to practice on. From there -> SSHE.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I'm trying to tell you is that instead of a rigid line of demarcation, you should be able and ready to notice when a table is loose and passive enough that SSHE applies and when it's not. Not only might two tables be completely different at the same stakes, it might be possible that the same table changes from one to the other as new players rotate in.

[/ QUOTE ]I understand what you are trying to tell me, and I agree with you 100%.

I'm not looking for any sort of rigid line, just thoughts on what level the game typically changes from mostly weak recreational players to mostly solid players (or regulars) playing a solid tight agressive game. In NL its around the $1/$2 level and I'm just wondering what the LHE landscape is typically like.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 AM

.50/1-1/2 FR on Pokerstars features the tighter players. 1/2 has been the tightest so far