Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Late chip leader confrontation

$60 live tourney, 2 tables remain, 16 players left, tournament pays 9.

Villain is the chip leader with 100,000 chips two seats to my right. Player was just moved to table two orbits ago, has raised three pots and taken all down either preflop or c-betting the flop.

Table has been extremely tight since merging at 18, with most players clearly trying to fold into money.

Hero has 50,000 and has maintained a tight image, average stack is around 30,000. I have only shown down a few hands in three hours, all either the nuts or close to it. I have been raising two hands an orbit stealing blinds easily.

Blinds are 2,000-4,000.

Villain limps UTG+1 (4,000), UTG+2 folds.

Hero looks at A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Reading the limp as weakness, Hero raises to 16,000.

Table folds to Villain, who pauses for five seconds, contemplates, and calls.

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

After approx. three seconds, Villain moves all in (84,000), effectively for all of my chips.

Villain is very talkative, asking after a few seconds if i have a pair. After I ask whether he wants a call, responds that he'd be happy to take my chips.

Reading this as weakness since most players state the opposite of what they really want, I call.

Is my preflop raise bad?
What is villain's range here?
Any thoughts on the live tells?