Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: File share issues. (includes lesbian penguin)

What firewall are you using? Try uninstalling the firewall instead of merely disabling it. Sometimes firewalls run services that interfere with normal network communications. We may be running around in circles when it's the firewall that's thwarting us.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What firewall are you using? Try uninstalling the firewall instead of merely disabling it. Sometimes firewalls run services that interfere with normal network communications. We may be running around in circles when it's the firewall that's thwarting us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using Kerio Personal Firewall. I really don't think that's the problem though, since I have had working file sharing with that firewall up until this happened. And I haven't changed any settings in it either. That said, I guess it won't hurt to try uninstalling it anyway.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found out how to force the NodeType to Broadcast here:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also possible to set this to Hybrid mode by following the same procedure but by setting a hex value of 8 instead of 1.

On my desktop it was "unknown" (there wasn't even a DhcpNodeType registry value), on one laptop it was "Broadcast", and the other laptop was "Hybrid".
Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had working file sharing with that firewall up until this happened

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it suddenly stop working or did you change something on your network?

Here are a couple steps for you to try:
1) Try changing the Node Type to hybrid on all the machines.

2) Go to your Administrative Tools menu in Control Panel. Go to "Local Security Policy". Under "Local Policies" (2nd folder on my machine) click on "User Rights Assignment". Make sure that the user "Everyone" is included in the policy "Access this computer from the network".

We'll see what these do and go from there.

I also found this interesting networking diagnostic page . It might be worthwhile taking a look at, but I have a feeling that everything is ok.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found out how to force the NodeType to Broadcast here:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also possible to set this to Hybrid mode by following the same procedure but by setting a hex value of 8 instead of 1.

On my desktop it was "unknown" (there wasn't even a DhcpNodeType registry value), on one laptop it was "Broadcast", and the other laptop was "Hybrid".

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading some more I found out that if it says unknown it will default to Broadcast anyway. Furthermore it seems that Mixed mode (4) is a better alternative than Hybrid mode (8)
Old 06-12-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems that Mixed mode (4) is a better alternative than Hybrid mode

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, I see that. Mixed mode will use the broadcast first, whereas Hybrid tries to query a name server first. Yes, mixed would be best for a small network. Both should work, but mixed will be faster.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
geeez, dont ask me. im just here for the lesbian penguin

[/ QUOTE ]

Pervert.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:00 PM

HAH! Culrit found!
It was Kaspersky Antivirus!
I had disbled it completely before and ruled it out, but apparently you were right about the uninstall thing. Once I uninstalled it the file shares started working immediately (after a reboot of course).
Now the big question is if it's possible to get it working with Kaspersky Antivirus installed. I mean, come on, there are more than a few people that use Kaspersky and I can't imagine that neither of them care about file shares.

Anyway, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your efforts flash8pro! I really appreciate it!

Investigation pending...
Old 06-12-2006, 03:24 PM

You're very welcome - glad we figured it out. It isn't too often that an experienced computer user asks for help on these forums, so our dialogue was a nice change of pace from the usual "type the procedure and send it to them" routine (not that there is anything wrong with people asking questions!).

I'm really surprised it was the anti-virus - I would have suspected the firewall WAY before the anti-virus. It must be running some service that interferes with NetBIOS and/or authentication procedures. I suppose it makes sense that some viruses might use these as vectors of attack, but I find it strange that there is a permanent resident process that interferes with normal traffic.

In my experience, when a firewall (or in this case, an anti-virus!) interferes with some normal function in a way that is fundamental to its operation (i.e. a critical process it uses), the only way around it is if the author of the software updates it or you need to switch products. A couple years back I had a McAfee firewall installed, and it totally prevented me from synchronizing my PC and Pocket PC. The only workaround was to switch firewalls.

Good luck with the investigation...

BTW, I'm half Swedish according to my known genealogy - so I was just helping out a fellow Swede [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]