Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Effectiveness of spreading a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] DirecTV
Old 11-23-2007, 04:32 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread:

I actually get NFL Network on my package. Awesome!! Get to watch the games!!
WRONG!!
Today there was some thing scrolling across the screen that said my cable-company did not carry the games-package to show the Thurs and Sat night prime-time games so unless I was in the local market I would not get to see the game. Contact my cable company. My phone-calls can make a difference.

WHAT?!?!
I actually get the NFL Network and could watch the pre-game show tonight as well as any of their other programming including the replays of the past Sunday's games that they show...but when the live games come on they black it out because of the deal with y specific cable operator?
WTF? They get the channel but still not the games?!?!

Pretty irritating.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 AM

Glad to know that cable companies are shifty in every country.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 AM

I thought the networks had the monopoly of nfl games, isn't it a bit ridiculous that they pay infinite money to the nfl but don't get to chose what games they can show? Someone enlighten me.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to know that cable companies are shifty in every country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read many articles on this and the NFL is just as much to blame as (if not more than) the cable companies (and I will take any chance I can to rip the cable companies).
Old 11-23-2007, 09:28 AM

Last week there was a very good (and honest) interview with a big Comcast exec in the Philadelphia area. I think he was some bigwig in a Rendell admin, so the dude was pretty slick...but surprisingly honest.

He made some good points which included:

1. If the NFL had allowed cable to bid on the big NFL package, then things might be different.

2. Comcast includes this on some NFL package that they already offer and most people that would want to see the NFL network already have that package.

3. LAst year there were some similar situations and they really didn't get that many complaints.

4. If you wanted to, you could call up and order the NFL network extra plan for a month or two and then drop it.

5. The NFL charges a crapload for the NFL network and compared to the total Comcast viewer's wants, it doesn't make sense for them to pass on this to all viewers. (Same holds true for BigTen network.) He compared this to something like the Lifetime network that is one of its highest rated networks that charges a lot less, so they include it.

Disclaimer: I hate Comcast and would already have DirectTV except that my apartment doesn't have any part that faces southwest.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 AM

I'll get the game here but honestly have no interest in watching.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I mentioned in the other thread:

I actually get NFL Network on my package. Awesome!! Get to watch the games!!
WRONG!!
Today there was some thing scrolling across the screen that said my cable-company did not carry the games-package to show the Thurs and Sat night prime-time games so unless I was in the local market I would not get to see the game. Contact my cable company. My phone-calls can make a difference.

WHAT?!?!
I actually get the NFL Network and could watch the pre-game show tonight as well as any of their other programming including the replays of the past Sunday's games that they show...but when the live games come on they black it out because of the deal with y specific cable operator?
WTF? They get the channel but still not the games?!?!

Pretty irritating.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much the same thing as getting the different Fox Sports Net channels that carry all of their local teams games but you won't get to see them unless you live in that area (because those games are owned by the NCAA Gameplan or FULLCOURT or EXTRA INNINGS, etc)
Old 11-29-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked if any NFL fan that has the network would say they'd only watch it five times a year. It's great.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the season I go through withdrawal when I go home for breaks. Though during the offseason for football I only watched the "draft" stuff which included the senior bowl, combine, and their draft coverage(which was not much better than ESPN).
Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty much the same thing as getting the different Fox Sports Net channels that carry all of their local teams games but you won't get to see them unless you live in that area (because those games are owned by the NCAA Gameplan or FULLCOURT or EXTRA INNINGS, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the same at all. You don't get those games because you didn't pay for them.

The guy you responded to didn't get the NFL game because his cable provider didn't pay for them.

E.g., I get Fox Sports AZ all the time . . . except when the Suns play. I need to pay $150+ to get League Pass to get those games. Since I don't want to pay for that, I don't get the games. Fair enough.

The guy you responded to pays for NFL Network. He gets it all but 3 hours every week, because the cable company is refusing to pay extra to the NFL (or, if you want to look at it the other way, because the NFL is extorting money from the cable companies).